What are the best foods from Nature's pharmacy that you can start right away for your dog & reap the benefits of healthy dog, happy owner & no-vet bills!
There are some foods from Nature's pharmacy that you can add to your dog's daily regimen and prevent diseases. I am going to list here the first 5 that you can start with and then we will move on to the next ones to add. So, let's start with the article.
1. Coconut Oil - If you really want beautiful coat and skin, healthy teeth, odorless breath, daily detox, healthy sugar balance, well lubricated joints and spine, and little to no shedding, then you have just got to add one miraculous gift from Nature - organic coconut oil. Make sure it is unrefined so your dog gets the full benefits.
With such a high inflammatory diet that American dogs are given, it is NO surprise to me why so many American dogs have cancer, arthritis, hip dysplasia, bad teeth and bad breath, kidney and liver issues, skin issues, etc and excessive shedding.
Because coconut oil is high in lauric acid, it lowers inflammation in the body. So, add on a small teaspoon (depending on your dog's size) to a whole tablespoon per day in your dog's diet.
Tip: You can even freeze some coconut oil and then take out a bit with spoon and give it as a cold treat to your dog. Start with less and then increase slowly over the month.
DOSAGE - For e.g. A 20 lbs dog will take about 1/2 Teaspoon to start with. Too much could have laxative effect so start on lower side and build up.
2. Hemp Oil - Ah! This is a 'must' if you want to prevent diseases like cancer and arthritis as your dog ages. But first, I want to make clear that hemp oil is not cbd oil; hemp oil comes from the seeds of the hemp plant whereas cbd oil comes from the leaves, stalks and buds of the hemp plant.
Hemp oil can be used daily for its added health benefits as it is a nutritional supplement, unlike cbd oil which has strong therapeutic benefits and therefore is mostly used after one has cancer, seizures, anxiety, and so on.
In short, hemp oil is a preventive tool whereas cbd oil is a healing tool.
OK, so now we talk about hemp oil for your dog (and you too! can enjoy). We know that fats are necessary for healthy brain function, healthy joints and skin, and most of all, to keep inflammation away. Hemp oil is rich in fatty acids, especially gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), as well as omega-3 and omega-6 which is known to inhibit cancer, inflammation, heart disease, diabetes, kidney and liver malfunction, allergies and even blood pressure. Hemp oil is also rich in antioxidants and help prevent oxidative stress in your dog's body - thus further delaying or completely inhibiting the onset of any disease.
Also note that another benefit of adding hemp oil is that it does not come with mercury, aluminium, lead, petrol and plastic - things all too common in our oceans now and therefore, in the fish oil. Hemp oil is also a cleaner, sustainable source so you can feel good and proud buying it for your dog! It is also cruelty-free!
Adding a minimum of spoonful to your dog's diet daily (according to weight) will help prevent lot of these issues for your dog.
DOSAGE - For e.g. - My 20 lbs dog takes roughly about (but not less than) 2 full Tablespoons daily.
3. Flax Seeds - Crazy to me that in America, dog owners are willing to drive to the vet..to get the anal glands cleaned but they will not care to add a thing or two to the dogs diet that actually takes care of this issue and much more.
Welcome, flax seeds! Flax seeds are rich in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, lignans and vitamins and minerals. Flax seeds are also rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which is known to prevent or lower inflammation - the root cause of all diseases.
Adding flax seeds to your dog's diet will help in proper digestion and elimination, more healthy fats for skin and coat health, better brain function (and much better behaved dog!). So, you can get milled flax seeds (powder form) and each day, add in your dog's meal daily.
DOSAGE - For e.g. - My 20 lbs dog takes 1 full tablespoon daily - 1/2 in morning and another 1/2 in evening meal, added to my home-cooked brown rice mix.
The best part for you? You will never have to go to vet to get the anal glands cleaned. NONE of my dogs have even gone to vet for this issue and none ever will; thanks to their home-cooked meals but also, thanks to the good old, easy-to-find and cheap solution called flax seeds! So, add on! and save yourself the dreadful trip!
4. Nutritional Yeast (Fortified) - You want to give your dog the best but not in artificial ways like man-made, lab-made vitamins and minerals. Here comes nutritional yeast - a natural food rich in B-vitamins and minerals. Nutritional yeast is not the same as brewer's yeast - nutritional yeast is usually from blackstrap molasses whereas brewer's yeast is the by-product of beer making process.
Imagine having a product that is natural and that you can just sprinkle on your dog's food and there! you have added vitamin B-1, B-2, B-3, B-6, B-12, protein, zinc, selenium, potassium, calcium, iron, folic acid, pantothenic acid and fiber all in 1 sprinkle! Whoa! That is some good 'health' management you are doing as a dog owner.
I suggest you buy a high-quality brand (either from specialty health store or from amazon) that is fortified - to add more nutrients and a much better option than colorful gummies or toxic 'vitamins' for dogs.
DOSAGE - For e.g. - So, for 20 lbs dog, I add 1 Teaspoon daily to the food, divided 2 times.
5. Electrolyte Powder - Summer is here and you want your dog's kidneys to stay hydrated or as we say in Chinese medicine - to have 'moisture.' Adding electrolyte powder not only will ensure your dog's kidney health but will also add minerals during summer months. The great part about investing in a jar of electrolyte powder is that even 1 jar will last you for almost a year or more. You only need to add a pinch's worth for maintenance dose and give it only 2-3 times a week - not daily.
If you are taking your dog outdoors for activities like beach, running, hiking, picnic, camping, etc, then just follow the instructions that will come with your dog's electrolyte powder on dosage and there you have just made sure your dog's kidneys are safe and his body is prepared for summer months or well..for all seasons of life! Yes! I really suggest adding electrolyte powder even if you live in cold place as it will still prevent many issues that could arise later on. So, yes! find a good brand online or holistic pet store and start on this right away for your dog (or dogs). Just mix it in your dog's water and voila! small fix to many big issues solved!
END NOTE - Alright, this is it. I hope this helps you save even more money and with all these 5 items, you may not see the difference in your dog's coat or health immediately, but later on, as time goes, you will realize why I told you to add these items to your dog's daily regimen and how it has saved you tons of money and headache as well as how it has kept your beloved pooch healthy.
All these 5 items are very easy to find and super affordable. Make sure you buy organic, cold-pressed oils (coconut and hemp) and from a reputable company and you too can enjoy them along with your dog!
Share! Share! Share! If this article has helped you and your dog, then I encourage you to share it with your loved ones and invite them to join The Garden Recipe newsletter! Let's get more dogs healthy!
Help Your Loved Ones! Post it on your FB page! Send in e-mail to all your loved ones! Invite them to join TGR so they can get such detailed articles too!
Some Posts to Help You Even More!
5-Steps to Beautiful Skin & Coat 5-Steps to Perfect Oral Health Dogs: Ginger-Garlic Paste
Some Amazing Posts
Neem Benefits for DOGS
Top 5 Everyday Herbs for DOGS
Neem Benefits for Health, Beauty & Organic Gardening
Take Me To...
Quick 5-Mins Recipes
Cacao, Pumpkin & Banana Shake
Cilantro Chutney w/Mint
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Salve Benefits for Dogs
Amazing Benefits of Bay Leaves & Bay Laurel Oil (NEW Article)
We would love to have you back!
Subscribe to the e-mail so you can receive your daily dose of health & easy, one-pot recipes and simple tips to save you tons of money!
Recipe videos for you.
Sign up here - THE GARDEN RECIPE YouTube channel.
Copyright ©2019 THE GARDEN RECIPE, LLC
All Rights Reserved