Learn how to make perfect lentils w/spinach. Restaurant style taste with secret spice that you are going to love. Pair it with rice, roti or quinoa.
One of my most favorite lentils! - tur dal or pigeon peas in English. In this recipe, I wanted to get the taste similar to dhaba-style (India street side or on highways small restaurants) and I think I did! Not much to say here, except, try this recipe and you will sure be glad you did! Let's start!
Ingredients for Tadka (Tempering) -
1. Organic, Unrefined coconut oil - 4 to 6 tablespoons
2. Cumin seeds - 3-4 Tablespoons
3. Black seeds - 1.5 Tablespoon
4. Asafoetida (hing) - Pinch's worth
5. Garam masala
6. Organic tomatoes - 5
7. Garlic (1 or 2 whole garlic -the more, the better!)
8. Green chilies - 2
9. 1 whole bunch organic cilantro/coriander
10. Turmeric, cayenne, sea salt (add less first, you can adjust later - so 1/3 teaspoon each)
11. Organic spinach - as much as you like!
12. Fresh lemon juice at end.
13. Chat masala
Ingredients for Lentils -
1. Organic yellow lentils (Toor Dal or Pigeon Peas in English) - about 1.5 cup here, soaked overnight
2. 6-7 Bay leaves
3. Turmeric - 1 Teaspoon
4. Water - just enough to cover little bit over the lentils
Simple steps -
Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe and exact measurements.
How To Pair? -
Pair this with my ONION RICE or TOMATO RICE; it will go great with it! Or you can pair with some quinoa or gluten-free tortilla. For more rice recipes, click on the 'rice' category and check for yourself! Happy cooking!
Delicious Recipe Videos
Some Amazing Posts
Asafoetida: A Pinch of A Cure
Is Pumpkin Good for My Dog?
Chickpeas-Spinach in Tomato Curry
Take Me To...
New Holidays Videos
The Best Hot Cacao Recipe
Hot Chocolate with Walnut Milk
Hot Chocolate w/Creamed Cashew & Coconut