What can olive leaf extract do for your dog? From helping with cancer, inflammation issues, to allergies, it can be an asset for your dog. Find out.
Olive leaf extract has been used since centuries for health related ailments because it is natural and it works! This is the reason why still till today, olive leaf extract has survived its brilliant reputation in the times of the conventional medicine era. Before wasting another minute, let's see what it can do for your dog and how it can be used for its amazing health benefits.
What is Olive Leaf Extract?
Olive leaf extract is derived from the leaves of the olive tree. Just like olive oil, the olive tree leaves are full of nutrients and especially rich in an anti-inflammatory compound called oleuropein. The 'extract' part is basically the concentrated and standardized source of oleuropein, oleacein, hydroxytyrosol and other nutrients (from the olive leaves) in a dose form - as in, powder, capsules, or liquid.
Olive leaf extract is so effective and safe that it has been used since centuries in Mediterranean countries like Greece, etc.
What are the benefits of Olive Leaf Extract for Dogs?
1. Helps boost the dog's immunity - It will help boost your dog's immunity and therefore is a great supplement for dogs with kennel cough, cold, fevers, cancer, skin issues, allergies, etc. Olive leaf extract has more antioxidant power than vitamin C - so add on to boost immunity in dogs!
2. Can replace your dog's toxic & deadly antibiotics - It works like antibiotics, since it is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic. This makes olive leaf extract a must-have item in a holistic dog owner's cabinet!
3. Helps with allergies & itchy, smelly skin - Mange dog? Or having allergies that make your dog scratch and itch all the time with bleeding sores? Have you used 'scented' shampoos to get close to your dog because his or her skin smells so rotten-bad!! Well, worry not! Olive leaf extract is your new best friend...until you can get close to your real best friend - your furry pal! Add olive leaf extract to your dog's food and see the miracle of fresh, healthy skin in just a few days!
4. Lowers inflammation - Olive leaf extract is anti-inflammatory as mentioned above due to its antioxidant power and therefore, is excellent for all inflammatory conditions.
5. May help dogs with UTI & Yeast Infections (Candida) - Olive leaf extract kills germs effectively by inactivating virus and bacteria as well as yeast, so it is helpful for dogs with UTI as well as those with yeast infections (candida).
6. Helps dogs with high BP & Blood Sugar - Olive leaf extract is a great natural alternative for dogs who have high blood pressure issues and high blood sugar issues (diabetes). But make sure to read my warning below before adding olive leaf extract to your dog's diet for these conditions.
7. Helps dogs with cancer - Because it boosts immunity and kills the pathogens in the dog's body, olive leaf extract is an excellent addition for dogs with cancer. Vitamin C is known for killing cancer cells, and olive leaf extract has 400 times more antioxidant power than vitamin C -making it a "must-have" for dogs with cancer! It also lowers inflammation - the root cause of cancer and many chronic diseases, so, add it to your pooch's diet and help prevent cancer or beat cancer in dogs.
8. Helps with dog's ear infections & odor - Adding olive leaf extract to your dog's diet will help that stubborn ear infection that doesn't go away ever, no matter how hard you try. If your dog's ears are inflamed, oozing waxy build-up and having bad odor or yeast clusters and dryness, then consider adding olive leaf extract and it should help your dog completely get rid of the infection.
9. Kills Parasites in Dogs - Olive leaf extract is anti=parasitic, so if your dog is prone to parasites, you can add it to his or her diet to get rid of the worms. It specially helps with giardia and intestinal worms.
10. Helps dogs with arthritis and stiff joints - Ailing and senior dogs will benefit from olive leaf extract as it is powerfully anti-inflammatory and can be used as a natural ally against arthritis and stiffness in dogs.
Dosage of Olive Leaf Extract for Dogs?
You can buy from specialty companies that are selling olive leaf extract specifically for dogs and it will come with a recommended dose.
If choosing to buy bulk organic powder, then start on low dose and increase slowly. This is also a great tip as dogs with candida may show worsening symptoms (called as Herxheimer reaction) due to candida yeast die-off effect in the dog's body. So, it is best to increase the dosage slowly.
For candida -
1. About 500 mg/twice per day for a 50 lb. dog.
For killing parasites -
1. 300 mg/twice per day for small dogs
2. 500 mg/twice per day for medium dogs
3. 1000 mg/twice per day for large dogs
For general health -
1. Small dogs - 1/4 Teaspoon per day
2. Medium dogs - 1/2 Teaspoon per day
3. Large dogs - 1 Teaspoon per day
What to look for when buying Olive Leaf Extract for Dogs?
1. Make sure it is from a reputed company.
2. Make sure it is certified organic if possible.
3. I recommend buying in powder form or liquid form (tinctures) - avoid plastic capsules as much as possible, even if later, you will open them to add to dog's food.
4. IF buying in liquid form, as in, tinctures, make sure it is in glycerin base and NOT in alcohol base.
5. For treating conditions like parasites and candida, make sure to buy one with a minimum of 12% oleuropein.
Which dogs should NOT take Olive Leaf Extract?
1. Dogs with High BP - If your dog has blood pressure problems, then beware as olive leaf extract may lower it too much.
2. Dogs with Diabetes or Blood Sugar Issues - Also, if your pooch is having diabetes or is on medication for it, then do not give olive leaf extract as it may cause hypoglycemia.
3 Pregnant Female Dogs should NOT be given olive leaf extract.
4. Nursing dogs.
5. Dogs allergic to olive oil, and olives and ultimately to olive leaf extract.
6. Olive leaf extract is a diuretic so for dogs with kidney issues, be careful. Consult a holistic vet before starting it.
END NOTE & THOUGHTS - I would like to add that olive leaf extract is a supplement and not food - unlike olive oil. If you have healthy dogs otherwise, then, don't use this supplement unnecessarily. Before supplements hit the shelves, they travel from far away and most are packed in plastic (plastic capsules and bags!).
If you want to add the health enhancing benefits of the sacred beautiful olive tree to your dog's diet, then better to choose extra virgin, organic olive oil (packed in dark glass bottles and easily found in your grocery stores) and simply add it to your dog's diet. It will also add extra source of healthy fats - promoting beautiful skin and coat for your dog and helping with joint health as well.
Also note that before adding any supplement to your dog's diet, no matter how good the supplement is, your FIRST choice of correction should always be food! What does your dog eat daily? Is he or she getting nutrients from fresh veggies and fruits? and so on. Correct that first before you ever go on search of supplements for your dog.
With this we finish this article, and I hope it has helped you learn something powerful.
Ref. (1). Ref. (2).
Do you know 1 dog-owner who could use this information and benefit from it? If so, would you please share it and help them too? Thanks a lot!
Some Amazing Posts
[DOGS] Olive Leaf Extract for Dogs
Olive Leaf Extract Health Benefits
[DOGS] 7 Amazing Super Foods for Dogs
Quick NEW Recipes
Cauliflower Pulao in Iron Wok
Flattened Rice w/Curry Leaves
Black-Eyed Peas w/Collard Greens
Some Amazing Content
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India (Video)
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
Oil Pulling: Ayurvedic Oral Care
Cancer: A Beautiful Blessing
[DOGS] CBD Oil Benefits for Dogs