A very easy,one-pot nutritious, tasty recipe. Cabbage, peas, red onions, ginger-garlic along with healing spices...
Eat more cabbage! Did you know it is one of the most medicinal vegetables on the planet?
Here are the reasons why this cruciferous vegetable is so good -
1. It is a digestive - a detoxifying veggie that also aids in weight loss. This same reason is why it helps in stomach issues like constipation, ulcers, bloating and helps in providing roughage to the diet.
2. It helps beautify your skin. Anything that detoxifies and is a digestive will help with skin and hair. But cabbage also contains good amount of vit C. And since it is naturally anti-inflammatory, it will reduces the irritation on the skin, from inside out.
3. Rich in SULFUR - That cabbage smell? Yep, sulfur. One of the most anti-cancer mineral and one that is needed to fight infections fast - sulfur is therefore crucial. Sinigrin in cabbage is the sulfur containing compound that has shown unique cancer preventive properties especially for bladder, colon and prostate cancer.
4. Contains Glucobrassicin - Another compound that converts to indole-3-carbinol (I3C) and diindolylmethane (DIM), both of which are anti-cancer healing compounds.
5. Contains anti-inflammatory compound called glutamine, an amino-acid - It is used for energy, protein synthesis, healthy kidney function. Glutamine also plays a crucial role in immunity as well as in intestinal health (hello! cabbage juice?!).
6. Great for vision, blood pressure, bones and brain health.
7. SO healthy but so cheap?! - YA! There goes the myth that healthy food is expensive. Imagine if a family of 4 made this meal - how cost effective and how much it will help in preventing future medical costs? So, more reasons to buy cabbage.
There you go! So more cabbage from now on..:)
1. Organic cabbage - I used 1 medium size cabbage here.
2. Organic peas - Here I used 1 cup approx.
3. 2 medium organic red onions
4. Ginger-garlic - per taste. For beginners, add 1 teaspoonful of ginger-garlic paste.
Spices and oils -
1. Organic coconut UN-refined oil - add per choice but I added 4-5 tablespoons
2. Turmeric - 1 heaping tablespoon
3. Organic Himalayan sea salt - per taste. Add less first, you can always adjust later.
4. Cayenne - 1/3 teaspoon. Taste and then adjust at the end of recipe.
5. Cumin seeds - 1 whole tablespoon!!
6. 1/2 teaspoon each - cumin/coriander/garam masala.
OR if you don't have #6 spices, just omit. Add the rest and bit of black pepper after sauteing...
Simple steps -
1. Put oil in STEEL pan and on medium-low, add onions, cumin seeds, ginger-garlic paste, peas and saute till soft for about 5-7 mins. You will know when its soft enough if onions are getting slightly soft and done.
2. Add spices and cabbage. Mix and then keep sauteing - on medium low till soft. Cover for 3-4 mins, check and see if cabbage has wilted. If so, turn off the stove. Let cool a bit and serve.
This served approx. 3 gluten-free tortilla wraps. And of coarse, it depends from person to person. If you want more in each wrap, then the serving will be less.
To increase the quantity (like when cooking for guests) - simply add more cabbage as well as more onions, veggies or both per your choice of taste.
Spices - When increasing the quantity, I always advice to use less spices first. Mix and taste and you can always adjust later on but not the other way around. So, if you don't know much about spices, go slow. Add only 1/3 teaspoon at first to approx. this dish's quantity (see pics) - you won't go wrong, I promise.
Composting - Also, as always, keep composting - that is your organic free fertilizer - so all your vegetable/onion ends - yup, put it in a bin outside or just throw under the soil! Plants/Earth will thank you plus let's all stop using plastic for such ridiculous reasons. Compost! Compost! Compost! from now on.
Do serve to your dogs too - add plain rice in a bowl and add bit of this. What can be better than some freshly, homemade cabbage with healing spices? Let them enjoy this fresh food too! Yum! Yum! Yum! And good for tummy too..:)
Need to know how to make super healing, powerful ginger-garlic paste? No issue!
Go here - A "MUST" for Health: Ginger-Garlic Paste
Onion Chutney w/Curry Leaves
Tomato - Basil Soup
Tomato-Ginger Chutney (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Navel Oil Massage Benefits
Neem Benefits for Dogs
Neem for Health, Beauty & Organic Gardening
Take Me To...
1-Pot New Recipes
Cabbage Risotto - Only 5 Ingredients!! (NEW Video)
Bhindi Masala - Okra Recipe - Only 2 Ingredients!! (NEW Video)
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing My Clay Pots from India to USA
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
Trikatu: Ayurvedic 3 Spice Blend for Health (NEW Article)
Cilantro Rice w/Turmeric
All About Spices in Indian Cooking (NEW Article!)
CCF Tea: An Ayuredic Tea Recipe for Digestion & Detoxification