Bhindi (okra) masala is easy to cook & only requires 2 ingredients!. Bhindi masala goes great with naan, roti, pilaf, quinoa & lentils (dal).
Bhindi is a very loved and favorite recipe of Indians. Called okra in English (or even lady fingers in some parts of the world, like India), it is super easy to make and this recipe only requires 2 ingredients. Okra and onions are what you need along with general spices like cumin powder, etc.
Okra is very rich in fiber, folate, magnesium, antioxidants and vitamins K, C and A. It is also said to be helpful for those with sugar issues as it helps with blood sugar balance. It is great for pregnant woman as it naturally helps with regularity. Another benefit is that it supports heart health. With so many benefits and its lovely taste, it is time to make some and eat okra - bhindi! So, let's start...
1. Okra/Bhindi (fresh or frozen - 16 oz bag I used here)
2. Organic yellow onions - 2
Spices and oils -
1. Organic mustard oil - 6 tablespoons
2. Organic Turmeric - 1 heaping teaspoon
3. Organic Himalayan sea salt
4. Cayenne or Red Paprika -1/2 Teaspoon first if you don't know or not spice lover - adjust later.
5. 1 teaspoon each - cumin/coriander/garam masala powder
6. Organic Amla Powder - 1 Tablespoon's worth
Simple steps -
Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe.
How To Pair?
Traditionally, this bhindi/okra recipe is eaten with some roti or naan along with some lentils. But you can pair this recipe with one of my rice recipes (click on the categories to the right of this article), you can have it in a wrap with lettuce or kale! Last but not least, you can enjoy this with some gluten-free tortillas. Very healthy & super tasty!
For Those With Sugar Issues -
1. Pair it with quinoa or oats instead of rice. Or simply wrap it up in lettuce or kale or even slightly cooked swiss chard! Yummy!
2. Sprinkle some Ceylon cinnamon on top for more blood sugar control.
3. While cooking this recipe, add in 1 full teaspoon of bay leaves powder for even more powerful blood sugar balance.
4. Make sure to make some lentils or chickpeas or beans - check out my lentils recipes at the end of the video.
Compost - Plz. compost (your FREE organic fertilizer) OR if you live in apartments/condos, then just throw the ends between tall grass or bushes. Earth will be SO happy and will thank you for the extra nutrients. Plus, let's stop using plastic bags for such ridiculous reasons!
Have Dogs? Check out the cute little 'surprise bonus' I showed in this video. You will get to see what my dogs ate for dinner while I was cooking okra side-by-side. The more fresh home-cooked food you add to Fido's diet, the healthier your dog gets. Check it out!
Onion Chutney w/Curry Leaves
Tofu Rice w/Crispy Onions
Tomato-Ginger Chutney (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Navel Oil Massage Benefits
Neem Benefits for Dogs
Neem for Health, Beauty & Organic Gardening
Take Me To...
1-Pot New Recipes
Cabbage Risotto - Only 5 Ingredients!! (NEW Video)
Bhindi Masala - Okra Recipe - Only 2 Ingredients!! (NEW Video)
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing My Clay Pots from India to USA
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
Trikatu: Ayurvedic 3 Spice Blend
Calamus: The Herb for Digestions, Diabetes, Sleep & Much More! (NEW)
All About Spices in Indian Cooking
CCF Tea: An Ayuredic Tea Recipe for Digestion & Detoxification