Pampering your dog just got easier! With this list, you can buy the most meaningful gifts & add value to your dog's life - healthy, green & affordable.
Sure! Pampering your dog feels great but most often, dog-owners do not put much thought into the items and the consequences of such a gift. For e.g., I am talking about when dog owners buy bags of conventional treats, thinking this is what their pooch needs and so, there we go with loads of chemicals, preservatives, dead animal parts (the fancy word is, "real meat based treats"), and artificial colors or "gravy" flavored treats or canned food items, and so on.
OK. What about toys?! Are conventional toys OK for your dog? Well. Not really. Plastic toys are detrimental - dogs chew them, the plastic ends up in the dog's tummy and piles up there, and on top of that, plastic toys always come with bright colors, so that means coating and artificial chemical layers now going into your dog's mouth and into his or her body! Few years down the road, you realize suddenly your dog has cancer or blockage in the stomach, and you are wondering why?
Toys should be made of cotton, and for playtime balls, choose tennis balls because they don't break and are not coated like plastic. When choosing furry toys or ones with squeakers, keep watch and choose from small, specialty companies and not from large conventional pet stores. Read the labels thoroughly and with consumer demand increasing for organic, natural toys, made with cotton and safe non-toxic material, you will be happy to know how many small companies are making toys from recyclable, non-toxic, chemical-free materials and using cotton as fiber and for fillings.
So, today, we talk about pampering your pooch but with things he really needs and not just you doing mindless spending. Mindless spending has left our planet in horrible conditions with plastic filling up the landfills and the oceans, as well as, our and our pets bodies. Mindlessly buying toys or kibble or treats for your dog is also responsible for creating rise in diseases like cancer and well, emptying the bank accounts of dog owners, without adding any true value or comfort to your dog's life.
IF you want something meaningful and you are ready to change your ways, then, continue reading on. I only spend time and money on things that truly are needed and add value to my and my dogs' life - I do not give in to consumerism and deterioration of this planet or the unfathomable cruelty to the billions of innocent animals (kibble & slaughterhouses go together...by the way!). So, if you are interested in pure, sacred, meaningful gifts, for your pooch, let's continue on.
1. Bamboo Tooth Brush for Dogs - Your dog's teeth and gum health should be your top priority when it comes to your hygiene care for your pooch. This is because we don't want tartar, bacteria and plaque in the mouth, as that is a perfect setting for diseases.
Staying with chic, elegant style, go for bamboo toothbrushes for your dog. The cute thing is these days you can get colorful tiny bamboo toothbrush set and this is super helpful if you have a pack of dogs and want to use separate ones (colors help!) or if you have a large family plus dogs, and want to assign colors to each of your family member, including the 4-legged ones!
And of course, keeping with the theme of sustainability, feel good knowing that bamboo toothbrushes are 100% compostable and biodegradable. In fact, they are so good for the environment that once done with your dog's toothbrush, simply take it and throw it in your compost bin or garden and it will decay on its own! As for the bristles, make sure to choose one that says recyclable nylon bristles - you might have to pull them out before composting your dog's bamboo toothbrush but this is no big deal for the Nature lovers like me and you! And be happy that that is one less source of plastic going in your furry pal's mouth! Whew! Seriously.
2. Natural Toothpaste & Tooth-powder - Now, we need some good toothpaste to get the bad out. I make my own at home and it has worked wonderfully, plus, I also use tooth powder for myself and so, I add some to my dogs' homemade toothpaste. If you would like to make your own and have a 100% pure product for your dog, you can use the Pay & Ask Option and I will work with you to craft the best toothpaste for your dog. You get the recipe and you get to keep it forever and in the long-term, it will be much easier, cheaper, and better, than any organic toothpaste you could ever find. So, if you are interested, just email me and let me know.
If not, you can buy from some specialty company. Make sure it is 100% organic, natural and that it works! But this is a gift worth buying, and committing to. Now, with that awesome looking bamboo toothbrush, brushing your dog's teeth won't feel like a chore - rather something fun and as the teeth start shining bright, it will be something you can be proud of!
3. Shampoo Bars for Dogs - Ooh la la! Pampering at it's finest! If you have never used shampoo bars for your dog, then, you will only know what I mean when you use them! Once you go for shampoo bars, you will never look back. Never. Trust me.
Shampoo bars are just like liquid shampoos, but in the form of soap bars. They are generally made with ethically sourced, organic, unrefined, pure ingredients and oh my!, they deliver! Made with good stuff like organic coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, herbs like neem or lavender and many more, along with more variety of healthy healing fats like plant butters and oils, your dog's skin is going to be thanking you for this very special gift! Shampoo bars will leave your dog clean, shiny and soft.
Another advantage of shampoo bars for dogs is that they actually last much longer than the liquid shampoos, and that they are much easier to hold while bathing your dog. Dog owners who are both eco-conscious and health fanatics, are always pleased to report how using shampoo bars has made the bathing time much easier on them and their dog. They also report how shampoo bars have saved them money due to their much longer lasting quality than the liquid soaps.
When searching for the right shampoo bar for your dog - Buy according to your dog's skin condition and make sure the ingredients are top quality. For the sake of the planet, make sure you buy from a company that uses recycled cardboard for packaging and no plastic is used for wrapping the bar. Imagine if we all wake up and all the dog owners stop buying plastic shampoo bottles, how much we have saved from the landfills and what a profound difference we have made on this Earth, while keeping our pooch healthier and away from....plastic! Win-Win.
Need help choosing the right bar for your dog or your dog is having skin conditions? E-mail and we will work together to get the right bar for your pooch to put an end to smelly or itchy skin conditions! Choose the Pay & Ask Option.
4. Shea Butter for Healthy Paws & Nose - We all love fall and winter weather - from family trips to holiday season to outdoor snow fun but it may not be so much fun for your dog if his/her paws are painful and his nose dry and wry.
I have stressed the importance of paw health before in many emails and even written an article on salves to help guide you. All dogs - from city dwellers to working dogs to those that do a lot of outdoor activities with their owners, like going on a hike or beach, long walks or 'snow-filled' vacation, etc. can use this amazing, thoughtful gift of getting their paws massaged with shea butter.
Hot, dry, cold, freezing or humid weather, along with dirty roads full of sand, pebbles, rocks, oil, grease, petrol, etc. can all stick to the paws and make them rock-hard like. Not cool!
Buy organic one so you are getting a pure product. A small jar goes a long way with this item. You can also buy bulk - as in, chunk and melt it at home to add some other oils like olive, hemp, castor or coconut, to make it more moisturizing for your dog. Whipped shea butter is much more easier to use as it is slightly thinner and more like lotion consistency. I would say, whipped shea butter is better for your dog - easier to apply and gets absorbed faster in paw pads, nose, skin and coat, as well as any dry, painful, crusty skin sores or spots.
5. Dulse & Kelp for Dogs - What about setting goals for your dog about some serious nutrition for next year? You said you wanted to prevent cancer in your dog, so here is one amazing meaningful gift worth investing in - a large bag of both dulse and kelp. Make it organic and ethically sourced.
Dulse is a red sea vegetable, also called sea parsley, and not only will it provide iodine, but it is also rich in iron, amino acids, phytonutrients, trace minerals, protein, vitamin B-12. Dulse is great for boosting immunity in dogs, helps with richer, thicker and shinier coats and supports energy production. It is also great for thyroid function, which is responsible for not just thyroid hormones, but overall hormonal balance too. This is super important if you want to prevent cancer in your dog - good hormonal health is the key to cancer-free life for dogs, along with stable sugar and healthy weight.
Make note that seaweeds/sea vegetables are known to inhibit tumor growth and are therefore, one of the best anti-cancer foods on the planet. They are so dense in nutrients that when you feed your dog some sea vegetables, the immunity increases, and they also detoxify the dog's body from heavy metals - both of these factors lead to cancer-free life and one full of energy, vitality and longevity.
Another great point? Dogs love the slightly salty taste of these sea vegetables and all you have to do is add to their home food or sprinkle some from top. Make sure it is in powder form or mini-flakes form - NOT sheets or whole as sold in some supermarkets. Same goes for kelp - buy in organic powdered form and to learn more about kelp benefits for dogs, read HERE.
6. Nutritional Yeast Jar for Dogs - Get some 'nooch' for your pooch! That even rhymes! Seriously. So cute! 'Nooch' is a loving way to say, nutritional yeast. I cannot emphasize the importance of just adding this one item to your dog's diet - it is a complete source of amino acids, protein, vitamins and fiber. Hopefully, if you have been reading TGR dog articles and newsletter tips where I share so much more, then, by now, you have already added this amazing super food to your dog's diet. But if not, here's some serious inspiration!
Imagine having a product that is natural and that you can just sprinkle on your dog's food and there! you have added vitamin B-1, B-2, B-3, B-6, B-12, protein, zinc, selenium, potassium, calcium, iron, folic acid, pantothenic acid and fiber all in 1 sprinkle! Whoa! That is some good 'health' management you are doing as a dog owner.
I suggest you buy a high-quality brand (either from specialty health stores or from amazon) that is fortified - to add more nutrients and a much better option than colorful gummies or toxic 'vitamins' for dogs. In short, let a big jar of this cheesy, nutty, slightly salty, delicious item be under the Christmas tree for your dog to sniff at, and then claim as his own!
7. Organic Hemp Oil for Dogs - Of course! Hemp oil made it to the 'best gifts for dogs' list! Duh! Hemp oil is a 'must' if you want to prevent diseases like cancer and arthritis as your dog ages. Hemp oil is rich in fatty acids, especially gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), as well as omega-3 and omega-6 which is known to inhibit cancer, inflammation, heart disease, diabetes, kidney and liver malfunction, allergies and even blood pressure. Hemp oil is also rich in antioxidants and helps prevent oxidative stress in your dog's body - thus further delaying or completely inhibiting the onset of any disease.
Also note that another benefit of adding hemp oil is that it does not come with mercury, aluminum, lead, petrol and plastic - things all too common in our oceans now and therefore, in the fish oil. Hemp oil is also a cleaner, sustainable source so you can feel good and proud buying it for your dog! It is also cruelty-free! Read more about it HERE.
8. Doggie Shoes for Hot & Cold Weather Protection - While I am NOT for treating dogs like cute little cuddly toys or babies (another stupid Western concept!!), I am definitely for getting dog shoes or boots out of pure necessity - as in, living in cold weather conditions like snow, or hot weather which creates dry, rough roads and footpaths, similar to mentioned in #4 above. I too, have many pairs of dog shoes and use them throughout the year, especially for my dogs who have very sensitive paws, and walking on hot concrete really becomes painful to their paws. The solution? Use tips from #4 above and add on some dog shoes when going out for walks. This is a gift worth investing in!
9. Orthopedic Bed for Dogs - I cannot tell you how pissed I get and baffled, when I see so many dog owners invest mindlessly in toxic treats, kibble, cancer-causing flea and tick products, and so on, but they will not invest in orthopedic bed for their dog!! Ugh!! Geez. Yes! I know people who are like that and it just baffles me to death!
Anyways, whether you got a new puppy or a new adopted adult dog or a senior, aging one, invest in a good orthopedic bed with bolsters right away. The reason I recommend one with bolsters is because all my dogs have loved laying their head on the bolsters and so I always buy beds with bolsters.
Another point is to make sure your dog is able to fully stretch on the bed - even if you have to pay a little extra and buy a larger size. I cannot say this point enough because I see so many owners buying beds for their dogs that are smaller than the dog's fully stretched body size!
Pictured here is Furhaven Orthopedic Dog Bed - See HERE.
To read more about why I recommend orthopedic beds for dogs from an early age, read HERE.
10. Clay Water Bowls - Clay water bowls will help your dog get some powerful nutrients from the soil - the clay, and moreover, the water just tastes divine, so your dog will just love it, especially during the summer months. Clay is known for keeping the water cool and you will feel good giving something to your dog that is rich in nutrients, anti-bacterial, antiviral and increases immunity! Yup. It's that good!
You can find clay bowls online or even in pottery groups or garden shops. Ask the seller to give you ones that do not have any leaks or holes, and you have found the most amazing gift for your pooch!
Watch my YouTube videos to see the clay bowls I got all the way from India for my dogs, and learn everything related to clay bowls seasoning to cleaning and care from my videos.
My Clay Pot Series - Great for Watching During the Holidays!
11. Dog Sweater - This is an easy one! Winter is here and if you live in an extremely cold area, buying a nice doggie pyjama and a sweater is a must. Make sure you always buy cotton pyjamas, and then top it with a dog sweater. You never want any heavy fabric or synthetic fabric to touch your dog's skin - esp. if putting the sweater for a long time, as might be the case for dogs that live in snowy areas. Cotton is the healthiest and best fabric - so cotton pyjamas first, then on top, another layer of a sweater.
12. The BEST Gift for Your Dog is Another Companion! - If you really want to enhance the well-being and quality of life for your dog, then do what the dog needs and not what you think the dog needs. BIG difference. When you do from the energy of giving to your dog what he or she needs to grow, to enjoy life, to develop and to have emotional, psychological and mental well-being, then, you get out of your comfort zone and do the work necessary for your dog's true happiness.
If your dog is the only one in the household, it is time to seriously consider adopting another dog from an animal shelter or a rescue. Thanks to over-population and now, this Covid-19, animal shelters are beyond capacity and dogs and cats are being 'disposed' off like yesterday's garbage - which is what they have become, thanks to many selfish, unethical humans!!
The truth is that everyone can rescue one or even two more dogs or cats or even both, and everyone can take care of another animal - it is just a matter of priority and whether you want to invest your life's time and money in something meaningful or you would rather enjoy a meaningless, but comfortable life. That is it. How much more could feeding another dog cost after all?!
Every dog deserves a companion - no, I am not talking about a human companion, I am talking about one from its very own species! What will your development and well-being be like if you lived in a jungle with all the animals of the world but no humans. Hmm. Point made.
Your dog needs one of his own to play with, to sleep with and to share his thoughts, emotions and even moments that scare him or make him sad. Your dog needs another dog to share walks, doggie parks and car rides. Your dog needs another dog to share the times when he or she is getting old and can no longer function like before and needs more rest - at that time, another companion, another buddy, laying right besides him is what he or she will need.
And to be honest, caring for one or even two more dogs, is no more work than caring for one - granted, you are a firm dog pack leader, you have no problem being assertive (at home or in public) and you set the rules of the pack from the beginning. Being consistent and being a firm pack leader will get you amazing results from your dogs - they will be calm, very happy, healthy and a close-knit pack that you never thought you could have! Walking them daily (and not just backyard pee and poop!), giving them rest times, and healthy, nutritious food is a priceless gift you can give to your dog (and your newly adopted shelter dog) and feel good about it too.
To sum up our interaction for today, let's end with the hope that you will apply all the 12 gifts in your dog's life and especially work with me to empty the animal shelters one day - starting NOW, with adopting one or two dogs at a time. Plz. go to your animal shelter and donate some vegan kibble while adopting your next best gift in life!! No kidding! Dogs are one of the best gifts in life and now, it's time to give that gift to yourself and to your pooch!
Happy Holidays to You & Your Furry Pals!
QUESTIONS & COMMENTS - For any questions or comments that relate to this article, please post below and I will reply. Please do NOT send in e-mails.
HAVE A SPECIFIC QUESTION ABOUT YOUR DOG THAT I CAN HELP YOU WITH? - Introducing an easy option for you! You Pay, You Ask!
Share! Share! Share! If this article has helped you and your dog, then I encourage you to share it with your loved ones and invite them to join The Garden Recipe newsletter! Let's get more dogs healthy!
Help Your Loved Ones! Post it on your FB page! Send in an e-mail to all your loved ones! Invite them to join TGR so they can get such detailed articles too!
Some Amazing Posts
[DOGS] Olive Leaf Extract for Dogs
All About Turmeric!
[DOGS] 7 Amazing Super Foods for Dogs
Quick NEW Recipes
Garlic Chutney w/Tamarind (NEW!)
Flattened Rice w/Curry Leaves
Poppy Seeds Chutney (NEW!)
Some Amazing Content
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India (Video)
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
Oil Pulling: Ayurvedic Oral Care
Cancer: A Beautiful Blessing
[DOGS] CBD Oil Benefits for Dogs