One of India's most famous & loved dish - spinach & potato (aalo-palak) with spices, cooked in traditional mustard oil. Divine! One-pot.
Nothing like a spinach-potato combo. Like yummy to the T!. And I made this recipe so that the nutrients of spinach are alive - by adding spinach at the end and just letting the heat of the dish cook the spinach enough.
So, remember from now on, the concept here is that you must try to keep your greens as much UN-cooked as possible so that they can deliver their promise to you - a promise of nutrients, immunity, fiber, beautiful skin & hair (iron) as well as give you energy - as much closer to raw as possible.
Also, I add BOTH mustard as well as coconut oil so that in each bite, my body gets good amount of healthy fats. This is crucial for digestion, healthy skin & hair, energy and joints. It is a misconception that adding too much oil will fatten you - when in reality it is the opposite. When you add good fats, your body does not need to store them in bulk for later....hence, healthy weight.
1. 1 bag frozen or fresh spinach - 16 oz.
2. 2 red or yellow medium potatoes - cut in very small pieces
3. 2 yellow onions
4. 2-3 medium tomatoes
5. Ginger-garlic (1/2 in ginger minimum & 1 whole garlic or more)
Spices & Oils -
1. Organic mustard oil - 4 tablespoons
2. Organic UN-refined coconut oil - 4 tablespoons
3. Turmeric, cayenne, sea salt, cumin/coriander powder, garam masala (start with 1/2 teaspoon of EACH - if you don't know and taste and adjust...)
4. Cumin seeds - 4 big tablespoons
Simple Steps -
1. Sauté #2 - #5 in both oils...add cumin seeds and small potato pieces.
2. Add spices (#3) and sauté for 3-4 mins more. Add bit of water and cook on low. Be careful and keep watch as cooking in steel heats up things fast.
3. Cover for 6-7 mins. Now check if potatoes and spices are done. If done, close the stove. AFTER 5-10 mins, ADD your spinach NOW. NOT BEFORE. Mix. Cover for few mins and then enjoy!
Quick Beet & Carrot Soup (NEW!)
Quick & Eggy Tofu Scramble
Basil Pesto Pasta w/Walnuts
Some Amazing Articles
Nasya Oil: Ayurvedic Nasal Remedy
All About Turmeric! (NEW)
Activated Charcoal Health Benefits
Some New Recipes
Posto Chutney (NEW!)
Peanut Butter Coffee (NEW!)
Cauliflower-Spinach & Potato Curry
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots