Cauliflower cooked w/spinach & potatoes with onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic, etc. Topped w/dried fenugreek. One-pot recipe!
Cauliflower is my absolute favorite - I mean, I love it! Now, I also love spinach and potatoes, so I thought, why not make a recipe that has all?! Hence, this wonderful, traditional, Indian style dish was born!
But another thing is that unlike other Indians who take pride in killing all the nutrients in green veggies like spinach, I DON'T! Indians will cook spinach for hours in any recipe and never think twice about what that does to its nutrient value. That is the wrong way to make any leafy greens - follow my method, and you will not only get the nutrients, but also, the taste will be much better.
I would say, don't skip the mustard oil in this recipe as that is what bring the traditional, lovely taste of Indian recipes to life. All right - enough talk. Let's start.
1. 1 bag frozen or fresh spinach - 16 oz.
2. 2 red or yellow small potatoes - cut in very small pieces
3. Organic yellow onion - 1 large
4. About 4 medium tomatoes
5. Ginger-garlic (1/2 in ginger minimum & 1 whole garlic or more)
6. Organic cauliflower - 1 small or medium (adjust according to the servings you need)
Spices & Oils -
1. Organic mustard oil - 4 Tablespoons
2. Organic UN-refined coconut oil - 4 Tablespoons
3. Turmeric, cayenne, sea salt, cumin & coriander powder, garam masala (start with 1/2 teaspoon of EACH - if you don't know and taste and adjust...)
4. Cumin seeds - 4 big Tablespoons
5. Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
6. Dried fenugreek (kasuri methi) - 2 Tablespoons
Simple Steps -
1. Add chopped onions and tomatoes to the pan. Then add (in exact order) cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coconut oil and mustard oil (this way, you will not burn your cumin and mustard seeds).
2. Put the stove on medium-low and start sautéing.
3. Cook for good 8-10 mins till onions and tomatoes are slightly tender and your cumin seeds and mustard seeds have softened.
4. Add spices (#3), add sea salt, cauliflower, potatoes and sauté for 5 mins more. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook on low. Be careful and keep watch as cooking in steel heats things up fast. Add little more water if you feel spices are burning or if the recipe is too dry.
5. Cover for good 10 mins. After 10 mins, now check with a knife if potatoes and cauliflower are done. If done, close the stove.
6. Add dried fenugreek and mix. AFTER 5-10 mins, ADD your spinach NOW. NOT BEFORE. Mix. Cover for few mins and then enjoy!
7. Add fresh lemon juice to enhance the taste and nutrient absorption!
Cashew Cream Pasta
Cauliflower Curry w/Black Seeds
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Castor Oil Health Benefits
[S&I] What is Tantric Sex?
[S&I] Complete Yoni Massage Guide
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots