Rice cooked with chana dal (split chickpeas), aromatic spices, cilantro, mustard seeds, etc. One-pot! and made in authentic Indian style.
It is one-pot dish, mainly and loaded with nutrients. As with all Garden Recipes, you will again learn a lot of positive changes and health in this recipe too.
Here is another anti-cancer recipe - yes!! It is loaded with organic turmeric and other healing spices. Loaded with sulfur - onions and garlic. Add to it anti-inflammatory ginger. Perfect!
Also, we are going to continue with positive changes -
1. Bringing back organic mustard oil! Why did we Indians ever leave such a gift of Nature and listened to Western media for refined/vegetable oil?! No more. Back to basics - welcome back!, mustard oil.
2. We will also add organic, UN-refined coconut oil - Yes, high HEALTHY fat diet is the key.
3. Double or triple the turmeric - Trust me you won't know. It will taste better plus this way your body is sure to get a good dose of turmeric in every bite.
4. LOTS of ginger - garlic.
5. LOT of cumin seeds (digestive) as well as mustard seeds (powerhouse of nutrients esp. copper) for tadka.
6. Did you know cilantro/coriander is one of the most powerful anti-cancer herb? It is blood cleansing. I use 1 whole bunch in each of my dishes - and so is here.
7. Now, we are cooking in STEEL - another stupid American trend to throw away. No more non-stick. Cooking in steel required little more watch and time but well, your body is not getting teflon and lead in dinner. SO....I say go for it . It can be done.
8. More lentils - less rice.
9. Use cayenne for red chili taste - it is anti-cancer as it is blood cleansing.
10. NO MORE white table salt - Only organic Himalayan sea salt.
11. We will add organic apple cider vinegar at the end - more healing power! More ways to harmonize and alkalize our bodies. Plus, it makes the taste of the dish even more better. Perfect! Awesome!
1. 1-2 organic yellow onions
2. 2-3 tomatoes
3. Ginger-garlic - lots
4. Organic basmati rice/any - about 6-7 oz.
5. Split chickpea (OR ANY OF YOUR CHOICE) or any of your choice - 1 cup approx. soaked for few hrs.
Spices and oils -
1. Organic mustard and coconut oil
2. Cayenne - per taste
3. Organic turmeric - 2 FULL tablespoon - see pics
4. Cumin/coriander/garam masala - 1 tablespoon EACH - see my tablespoon size in pics. Note - If don't have garam masala, ignore it. IF wanting less spicy, add only 1/2 tablespoon each and you will be fine.
5. Organic Himalayan sea salt - per taste.
6. Mustard and cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon of cumin + 1/2 tablespoon of mustard seeds each - see pics
7. Organic, UN-refined apple cider vinegar
Simple steps -
1. Soak lentils in water for few hrs.
2. In pan add in this order - onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, coconut oil and mustard oil. Saute on medium till soft.
3. Add spices (2 to 5) and add about 1/2 cup water so it won't stick or burn. Put on medium low.
4. Cover for 4-5 mins and then add lentils, rice and mix. Add water till top and boil on medium. Mix and turn on low - simmer covered. KEEP WATCH as in steel you will need to add more water. OR you can cook lentil/rice first in cooker and then just add here.
5. Make tadka/tempering in meanwhile - on low add coconut oil and mustard seeds. Let them splutter and then switch off, add cayenne.
6. Mix when rice done, mix cilantro after rice has cooled a bit.
7. After about 20-25 minutes when food is no longer too hot, add organic apple cider vinegar and mix. Serve! Do also share with your DOGS - yes! my dogs love this fresh food and I add this - about 2 tablespoon with rice or even plain rice mix. Much better than that crap called dog food in plastic. LOL. Enjoy!
NOTE: - MUSTARD SEEDS ARE BITTER - ADD LESS FIRST AND LESS GINGER AS WELL.
Single (Adult portion size) - This would serve approx. 4-6 servings, depending on your individual serving preference.
2 people (Adult portion size) - approx. 2 serving each.
Family of 4 - Each a good quantity.
For those with SUGAR issues:-
If you have sugar issues, you can still enjoy this recipe with 2 very simple, easy options!
1. REDUCE the quantity of rice and add some quinoa. So, you can do, say, 30% rice to 70% quinoa.
2. OR, you can eliminate rice completely - make the recipe as is, and mix in quinoa instead of rice.
And remember, to add some Ceylon cinnamon to your food when cooking AND when ready to eat. Enjoy!
Cilantro Rice w/Turmeric
Raw Onion Chutney w/Tamarind
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Wrong Food Combinations per Ayurveda (NEW!)
Seed Cycling for Hormone Balance
Benefits of Oil Pulling Remedy
Some Quick Recipes
Tomato Rice w/Green Onions
Peanut Butter Coffee
Avocado Soup w/Cilantro
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots