Chickpeas-Poppy Seeds Curry
Devour in this creamy & hearty chickpea-poppy seeds curry. Poppy seeds are super healthy seeds & with this curry, enjoying them is easy!
This recipe came out so good that it is definitely one of my favorites now! In this recipe video, though it might be long and kind of boring and slow, you will learn a lot about the -
-benefits of cilantro and parsley
-the individual qualities of cilantro and parsley and why you need both
-the power of poppy seeds (called as posto in Bengali and khus khus in Hindi)
-the super power of adding seeds to your diet - esp. in cooked recipes
-why adding seeds in cooked recipes is better for your health, digestion, and so on...
So yes! Watch the video and it will be like 2-in-1 - getting a recipe as well as learning a lot about nutrition so you can keep your body healthy and full of vitality.
1. Organic yellow onion - 1 large
2. Organic tomatoes - 4 medium roma tomatoes
3. Chickpeas - About 10 oz. is what I used (soak in water overnight)
4. Organic cilantro - 2 whole bunch
5. Organic parsley- 2 whole bunch
6. Garlic - 1.5 whole
7. Poppy seeds - About 4 oz. (see pic below)
Spices, Seeds & Oils -
1. Organic coconut oil & mustard oil - 4 Tablespoons each
2. Organic cumin seeds - 4 Tablespoons
3. Asafoetida (Hing) - Pinch's worth or about 1/4th Teaspoon
4. Paprika or Deegi Mirch - 1 to 2 Teaspoons (add less first, adjust later)
5. Fenugreek powder - 2 Tablespoons
6. Dried Fenugreek - About 2 Handfuls
7. Organic turmeric - 2.5 Teaspoons
8. Sea salt - 1.5 Tablespoon
9. Org. cumin powder - 1.5 Teaspoon
10. Coriander powder - 1 Teaspoon
11. Garam masala - 1 Teaspoon
12. Whole black cardamom - 3-4
13. Dried oregano - 2 Teaspoon each
14. Thyme - 1/2 Teaspoon
15. Bay leaves powder - 1 Teaspoon
16. Cloves - 4-5 whole small cloves
17. Whole mace - 2-3 big ones
18. Black seeds - 1 Tablespoon
Top It With -
1. Nutritional yeast
2. Organic olive oil
3. Fresh lemon juice
Simple steps -
1. Watch the video for step-by-step instructions and check with the photos as you cook the recipe.
1. Keep the chickpeas water and use it while making this curry or when you boil your rice or quinoa - it is full of nutrients and must not be wasted. You can even use to water your plants, if nothing else! Or use it to make your hair mask since it is highly nourishing to hair.
2. Taste your dried fenugreek leaves BEFORE adding them to the recipe. If they are more on the bitter side, then just add 1 teaspoon only - otherwise you will ruin the recipe. If they are more on the sweet-aromatic side, then add as I did - 2 handfuls, crushed and added.
3. Adjust the recipe by lowering chickpeas quantity if needed. Reduce poppy seeds also in half in that case.
4. Soak your chickpeas and poppy seeds in water overnight.
5. If you are a woman with heavy menses, then you can either add less parsley OR skip it completely since parsley promotes heavier periods.
How To Pair?
You can use this recipe with one of my rice recipes (click on the categories to the right of this article OR directly on the video 'Rice Entrees' link when it pops up), you can have it as a wrap in lettuce or kale! Very healthy & super tasty! You can pair it with some gluten-free tortillas or naan.
For Those With Sugar Issues - Pair it with quinoa instead of rice.
Leave a Reply.
Beet-Tomato Soup w/Cilantro
Quick Red Kidney Beans Curry
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Buddhism: What Is Metta Meditation?
[S&I] What is Tantric Sex?
[S&I] Complete Yoni Massage Guide
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots