Chickpeas in tomato-onion gravy with black seeds & ginger-garlic. Yum! A tasty way to add some plant protein to your diet.
You don't want to miss this - nope, you don't! If you have never tried this chole recipe, then trust me, now is the time! It is a very famous and loved North Indian dish, thanks to the contribution of Punjabi cuisine (from the state of Punjab) and its influence. It is usually eaten with fried naan type bread called bhature. And of course, there are many variations to this recipe - many make it with a tea bag cooked along with chickpeas and many don't.
Here is my recipe - I make mine in tomato-onion gravy and infuse it with aromatic herbs, spices and seeds like cumin and black seeds! Yummy! Watch the video and you will love this mouth watering recipe with rice or any bread/naan/gluten free tortilla of your choice. This recipe is also great because it is an excellent source of plant based protein and fiber. To help the spices and herbs digest better, we add lot of cumin and black seeds. To help the nutrients like iron digest and get absorbed better, we then add cilantro and lemon juice at the end. And don't forget to add 2 whole big bunch of cilantro because remember, as I have written in many of my posts, cilantro is very powerful chelator - it pulls heavy metals out of the body! Don't skip!!
Aromatic. Powerful. Tasty. Quick. Easy. The way 'anti-cancer' recipe should be!
1. 2 large/medium organic onion
2. Green chilies - per choice
3. 2 organic cilantro
4. 4 organic tomatoes
5. 1 garlic and ginger (see video)
Spices & oils -
1. Organic, mustard oil - 4 full tablespoonfuls!! Don't skip.
2. Organic Sea salt - per taste. Add less first, you can always adjust later.
3. Cayenne - per taste. Add less first, you can always adjust later. So, if you don't know, start with 1/4 teaspoon.
4. Black seeds (kalongi) - 1/2 Tablespoon
5. Cumin & coriander - See video
6. Chat masala - 1 Teaspoon
7. Cumin seeds - 1 big Tablespoon
8. Turmeric - 1 Tablespoon
9. Paprika - per taste or 1 Teaspoon
10. Garam masala - optional, 1 Teaspoon
11. Dry fenugreek leaves (methi)
Top with -
1. Organic cilantro
2. Fresh lemon juice - 2 whole
Simple steps -
1. Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe.
Single (Adult portion size) - This would serve approx. 4-5 servings.
2 people (Adult portion size) - approx. 2.5 serving each
Compost - Plz. start composting. Imagine if all of us stopped using plastic bags for such stupid reasons? How Earth will change overnight? If you don't have compost bin in your home, you can make one.
Cilantro Rice w/Turmeric
Raw Onion Chutney w/Tamarind
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Fenugreek: A Divine Spice (NEW!)
Spirituality - The Tree & His Dreams
Benefits of Oil Pulling Remedy
Some Quick Recipes
Cruciferous Veggie Pulao (NEW!)
Beet & Carrot Veggie Juice (NEW!)
Avocado Soup w/Cilantro
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots