Lentils cooked w/bay leaves, turmeric & topped with garlic & tomato tadka (tempering). Inc. photos/video to save you time!
Oh! I love lentils. This particular one is a favorite in Indian households and eaten with rice. It is light and great for anyone even those who have severe digestive issues.
I make it extra yummy by adding a unique tadka (tempering) that I have 'designed' - so to say.
Let's get straight to the point so you can get cooking this very tasty and healing recipe.
Why are lentils great?
1. Digestive health - Lentils are rich in soluble fiber.
2. According to The World's Healthiest Foods's website, lentils contain molybdenum and folate. They also provide copper, phosphorus and manganese. Additionally they are a good source of iron, protein, vitamin B1, pantothenic acid, zinc, potassium and vitamin B6.
3. Weight loss - Happy! Happy! Yes, lentils are excellent for weight loss due to their rich soluble fiber content.
4. Blood Sugar - If you are obese, diabetic, cancer patient, thyroid, reproductive issues or hormonal issues, hypoglycemia - you better get on lentil bandwagon! They stabilize blood sugar due to their soluble fiber content.
5. WHAT they DON'T contain - Lentils are NOT bombarded with hormones, additives, colors, preservatives or antibiotics unlike protein called 'animals.' So yes, besides all that they deliver, it is equally important that they DON'T deliver any of the negatives. Heck, I would say it is more imp. these days to NOT eat any of the #5 items due to high rise in cancer rates and other diseases.
6. Best option of protein IF you are someone who cares about Earth & animals - yes! Lentils don't require the enormous amount of water, fuel, packaging needed to grow them, deliver them to grocery isles or to cook them. Moreover, they are easily the choice for the awakened soul. This point, to me, is a no-brainer. Seeing how animals are treated in slaughter houses just for 'protein' vs. eating lentils - hmmmm........lentils please!!!!!
1. Lentils - any or same.
2. Bay leaves - 2-5
3. Turmeric & Sea Salt
4. 2 Tomatoes
Tadka (Tempering) -
1. Mustard seeds -1/2 Teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds - 2 Tablespoons
3. 2 tomatoes
4. Ginger-garlic -
5. 1 whole bunch cilantro/coriander
6. Organic coconut oil
9. Sea salt
Top with -
1. Organic apple cider vinegar
2. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Simple steps -
Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe & spices measurement.
This makes enough for 4-5 people to enjoy with rice or gluten-free tortilla/naan bread.
NOTE - I did put lot of mustard seeds - LOWER the quantity as you might not like them much or might be bitter. Turmeric, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds (though not used here) & ginger are 4 items that, if used too much in a recipe, can cause bitterness. So, go less and increase as your taste adapts.
Beet-Tomato Soup w/Cilantro
Quick Red Kidney Beans Curry
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Buddhism: What Is Metta Meditation?
[S&I] What is Tantric Sex?
[S&I] Complete Yoni Massage Guide
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots