Dal Tadka in Iron Wok
Delicious masoor dal tadka in iron wok (kadai). This tadka is super tasty as it includes warming spices like cloves, cardamom, etc.
This Ayurvedic tadka has too many benefits. For one, it is made with many winter warming spices like cardamom, cloves, cayenne, fenugreek, etc. And if you think it is going to be too warming to your body, then don't worry - we add pure organic amla powder to balance the heat and that is because amla is cooling to the body. Masoor dal also (called as red lentils in English) is cooling to the body.
Another new addition that you will see in this recipe is the use of jaggery - called as gur in Hindi. Jaggery is eaten every winter by Indians as it is warming in nature and helps create the warmth in the body naturally. Moreover, jaggery is also a great digestive - hense, Indians usually eat it after a meal as a treat. Jaggery has been part of Indian traditional cuisine since centuries - no Indian home is without jaggery in winter months!
Then, we add bay leaves powder and fenugreek (both seeds powder and dried leaves) which help us in balancing our blood sugar with every bite!
Here - try this beautifully nourishing recipe that is sure to warm you Soul and fill your body with some aromatic winter spices. Go ahead and some cinnamon if you like - it will only add to the magic of this winter-special lentil recipe!
1. Organic masoor dal (red lentils) - About 1 cup
2. Water - 2 cups
3. Organic turmeric - 1.5 Tablespoons
4. Sea salt - 2 Teaspoons (mix, taste and adjust)
Make sure to soak your dal for good 4-6 hours or possibly overnight. If cooking in a pressure cooker, give 2 to 3 whistles on medium heat and then turn off the stove. Let it sit until all pressure is out and then open. Add turmeric and sea salt, mix again and taste slightly. Aadjust and let sit for sometime. Cook the tadka in meantime.
Tadka (Tempering) -
1. Organic coconut oil - 4 Tablespoons
2. Organic mustard oil - 4 Tablespoons
3. Organic mustard seeds - 1 Tablespoon
4. Organic cumin seeds - 4 Tablespoons
5. Fenugreek seeds powder - 2 Teaspoons
6. Organic black seeds (kalongi) - 2 Tablespoons
7. Garlic - 1 whole, finely chopped
8. Cloves - 1 to 2
9. Organic cardamom powder - 1 Teaspoon
10. Roma tomatoes - 4 to 5
11. Garam masala powder - 1 Teaspoon
12. Organic cumin seeds powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
13. Organic bay leaves powder - 1 Teaspoon
14. Black pepper powder - 2 Teaspoons
15. 1 whole bunch organic cilantro/coriander (optional - add at the end)
16. Dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) - 3 Tablespoons worth
17. Organic turmeric - 1 Teaspoon
18. Cayenne or Paprika - 1.5 Teaspoon
19. Asafoetida (Hing) - Pinch's worth
20. Organic amla powder - 1 Tablespoon
21. Organic jaggery powder (gur) - 2 to 3 Teaspoons
22. Sea salt - Adjust per taste
1. Taste your fenugreek leaves first - if they have a bitter note, then add less. If the leaves are on a slightly sweet side, you can add 3 tablespoons.
2. Don't ever wash your greens - so in this recipe for example, don't wash your cilantro if it is organic. You need the dirt from the land in order to have healthy gut bacteria and immunity.
Simple steps -
Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe & spice measurements. Learn the importance of different spices in this tadka and in Ayurveda as I explain it very well in the video. Enjoy the lentils and pair it with rice, quinoa, naan or simply enjoy a bowl of it by itself.
Where do I find some of these very different ingredients?
Fatima M Slavin
Were can I find black seeds?
Hello dear Fatima - You can find them in Indian/Pakistani or Middle Eastern store..:) I hope that works and you can then try this recipe..:) -Somya.
Leave a Reply.
Alonti's Pesto Pasta
Cilantro Chutney with Mint
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
When God Showed Up: A Defining Moment in My Life
Men's Health - Supporting & Healing The Divine Masculine
[S&I] Complete Yoni Massage Guide
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots