Khichdi - mash made w/lentils & rice and add to it curry leaves, turmeric, onions, garlic and cumin seeds. One-pot! & super light on the tummy.
Khichdi is one of those favorite, dear dish that is made in India when one is sick or feeling heavy. But it is also great made just any day. It is also used as baby's first solid food.
You can call it an ideal comfort food. Can be made as one-pot dish too - just cook the tempering/tadka first in cooker and keep aside in a plate you are going to eat in later. Less clean-up, less water wasted and less time and energy.
And of coarse, add to it BIG flavor - curry leaves, cumin, etc. Never again will you ever eat plain khichdi! Let's cook one of the simplest yet healthiest dish on this planet.
1. Organic basmati rice/any equal quantity or per choice - I used approx 10 oz
2. Moong dal (split green gram) or can choose any lentil per choice - same
3. Organic yellow onions - 2
4. Garlic - LOTS of it
Spices and oils -
1. Organic coconut oil
2. Curry leaves - a small bunch or 5-7 at least
3. Turmeric -3 tablespoons!!
4. Cayenne - start with 1 teaspoon or less if you don't like spicy. You can always adjust later.
5. Organic Himalayan sea salt - per taste
6. Cumin seeds - 3 tablespoon and cumin seeds powder - 1 tablespoon
7. Bay leaves - 6-7
Simple steps -
1. Soak both lentils and rice in water for few hours in the cooker. Rinse the mix, add bay leaves and then add clean water till little bit over the top of mix and cook on medium low. Let whistle 5-6 whistles. If you don't have cooker, just boil the mix in any other pan till super soft - like mash.
2. In another pan, add onions, garlic, curry leaves, turmeric and cumin seeds. Mix. Saute for 2-3 mins and now add cumin seeds powder and cayenne. Mix the rice mixture and done.
For those with SUGAR issues:-
If you have sugar issues, you can still enjoy this recipe with 2 very simple, easy options!
1. REDUCE the quantity of rice and add some quinoa. So, you can do, say, 30% rice to 70% quinoa.
2. OR, you can eliminate rice completely - make the recipe as is, and mix in quinoa instead of rice.
And remember, to add some Ceylon cinnamon to your food when cooking AND when ready to eat.
YouTube channel - Want more recipes like this one? Subscribe to The Garden Recipe YouTube channel; click on icon below on yellow footer.
Have Dogs? Share some with your pooch too! This is so healthy and light - perfect for delicate tummies or just any dog!. Give some to your dogs!!
Cilantro Rice w/Turmeric
Raw Onion Chutney w/Tamarind
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Fenugreek: A Divine Spice (NEW!)
Spirituality - The Tree & His Dreams
Benefits of Oil Pulling Remedy
Some Quick Recipes
Cruciferous Veggie Pulao (NEW!)
Beet & Carrot Veggie Juice (NEW!)
Avocado Soup w/Cilantro
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots