Spicy Quinoa w/Green Peas
Quinoa cooked in tomato-onion sauté & topped with green peas. This is a great recipe to make for guests; quick and light yet filling.
Quinoa is the buzz word these days - everybody wants to make quinoa this or quinoa that! So, I thought, why not try a recipe or two with it. I made a lot because I was cooking for someone so I will write below what you need to do if you want to reduce the quantity.
Now, little bit more about quinoa; it is a gluten-free grain botanically related to spinach family and it is high in protein as well as nine essential amino acids. It is also rich in fiber, minerals, B vitamins and antioxidants. Now, that's a lot of goodness in one grain!
Where is quinoa from? It originated in Peru and is also cultivated in Andes Mountains of Bolivia & Argentina. In the U.S., it is grown in Colorado. The quinoa seeds can vary in color from white to red or black.
YOU MUST KNOW:- Quinoa seeds have an outer coating that contains bitter saponins. Now, for commercial consumption and sale, this coating is removed. This bitter coating is great during cultivation as it naturally deters the pests but for commercial sales, quinoa breeding programs are now looking to make this coating more palatable and bit sweeter or less bitter. For this motive, they are trying to work with genetic engineering so you should know by now what that means....Monsantooooo!! Therefore, if you care about your health, the health of your loved ones, your dogs and if you care about our sacred planet and the animals who dance around us, then, make sure you buy ONLY ORGANIC QUINOA.
OK. So, now that I have explained all about quinoa that you need to know, let's get moving with this delicious recipe!
1. 1 large/medium organic onion
2. Green chilies - per choice
4. 3 organic tomatoes
5. 1 garlic
6. Fresh or frozen green peas
Spices & oils -
1. Organic, UN-refined coconut oil - 4 full tablespoonfuls!! Don't skip.
2. Organic Sea salt - per taste. Add less first, you can always adjust later.
3. Cayenne - per taste. Add less first, you can always adjust later. So, if you don't know, start with 1/4 teaspoon.
4. Black pepper - at end.
5. Cumin & coriander - 1 Tablespoon each
6. Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
7. Cumin seeds - 2 Tablespoons
8. Turmeric - 1 Tablespoon
9. Paprika - per taste or 1 Teaspoon
10. Garam masala - optional, 1 Teaspoon
Quinoa & Rice -
1. Organic quinoa - approx. 1 cup
2. Organic jasmine rice - 1/2 cup
Top with -
1. Organic cilantro
Simple steps -
1. Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe.
To reduce the quantity, all you have to do is reduce the quinoa & rice quantity accordingly and adjust the spices to your taste. I would suggest keeping the veggies same quantity.
To increase (if making for guests,etc) - Add more quinoa/rice and you can even boil quinoa separately and mix all at end.
Single (Adult portion size) - This would serve approx. 4-5 servings.
2 people (Adult portion size) - approx. 2 serving each.
Family of 4 or guests - Will serve brunch/lunch/dinner.
For those with SUGAR issues:-
If you have sugar issues, you can still enjoy this recipe with 4 very simple, easy options!
1. REDUCE the quantity of rice and add some quinoa. So, you can do, say, 30% rice to 70% quinoa.
2. OR, you can eliminate rice completely - make the recipe as is, and mix in quinoa instead of rice.
3. And remember, to add some Ceylon cinnamon to your food when cooking AND when ready to eat.
4. Add some bay leaves powder for even more powerful blood sugar balance!
Compost - Plz. start composting. Imagine if all of us stopped using plastic bags for such stupid reasons? How Earth will change overnight? If you don't have compost bin in your home, you can make one.
Alonti's Pesto Pasta
Cilantro Chutney with Mint
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
When God Showed Up: A Defining Moment in My Life
Men's Health - Supporting & Healing The Divine Masculine
[S&I] Complete Yoni Massage Guide
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots