Sweet potatoes sauteed in Indian spices like garam masala, cumin & coriander. Super easy & quick recipe - perfect for weekdays!
Oh! I love sweet potatoes and pairing them with some sweet and tangy vegetables like bell peppers, onions and carrots (and whatever you wish to add extra) is one mouth-watering dish. This recipe did not come from my culinary adventures - it is actually my dad's recipe that, instead of making it on the stove, he bakes it in the oven. It comes out divine - super tasty with the perfect blend of spices and crunch.
In my present condo, I do not like the oven and therefore you will not see any of my recipes made in the oven. In my previous home, I had a very nice oven and was regularly using it for pasta recipes, vegan lasagna, and such. Well - there is timing for everything! When I move from here and to my next new home, I am going to make sure the oven is nice so I can get back to cooking my culinary adventures in it..:) But really - this recipe still came out amazing on the stove and the best part is that it was quicker than the oven method.
Now, to mimic the original recipe, the spices I added are - garam masala, cumin, coriander, thyme, etc. This recipe is quick and it is perfect for weekdays or even for busy weekends. You can eat it as is and that is what I do, since it is so tasty or you can eat it with some wrap or rice or quinoa, per your choice.
Plus, it is a GREAT recipe for those on a weight-loss journey. Do give it a try - you won't regret it!
Ingredients (1 serving) -
1. Organic sweet potato - 1 Large or 2 medium
2. Organic green bell pepper - 1
3. Organic red bell pepper - 1
4. Organic carrots - 2 long carrots, chopped in big pieces
5. Garlic (optional) - 2-3 cloves or per choice
6. Organic yellow onion - 1 medium or large, per choice
Spices & oils -
1. Organic, UN-refined coconut oil - 4 full tablespoonfuls!! Don't skip.
2. Organic Sea salt or Indian Black Salt (kala namak) - per taste or 1/2 Teaspoon, adjust later.
3. Cayenne - 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Black pepper - 1 Teaspoon
5. Thyme - 1 Teaspoon
6. Dried oregano - 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Garam masala - 1 Teaspoon
8. Cumin powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
9. Coriander powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
10. Bay leaves powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Top with -
1. Organic yellow onion - thinly sliced, about 1/2 medium onion
2. A dash of lemon juice
Pair It With -
This recipe is perfect as-is by itself so it doesn't need anything with it to be enjoyed. But still if you must pair it with something, here are some suggestions for you -
1. Enjoy this delicious recipe with hummus or vegan mayo.
2. Or, wrap it in some kale, swiss chard or lettuce.
3. You can also pair it with some rice pilaf or quinoa - though it is a dry recipe (means it has no curry or gravy) so it is best enjoyed as-is as a wonderful light healthy snack.
Simple steps -
1. Chop veggies and onions in bite sized pieces.
2. In a steel pan, add coconut oil and onion. Keep the stove on medium-low. Saute for about 5 mins till onions are a bit soft. Add sweet potato and carrots and saute a little more till sweet potato is a little softer (about 3-4 mins).
3. Add the spices now and mix all. You can add 1/2 cup water to avoid the spices from burning.
3. Add the remaining veggies - mix all and cover. Keep the stove on LOW for 5-7 mins. Keep watch to avoid anything from burning.
4. Check and see if the sweet potato and carrots have softened to your liking. Take a knief and check to see if the sweet potato is done or not.
5. If done, close the stove off. Let cool little bit and then add lemon juice and the 1/2 yellow onion. Mix again. Serve with sauce of choice - Enjoy!
*For spices, always add less and adjust later; you can't take out the spices when they are added but can always add more later on.
Cilantro Rice w/Turmeric
Raw Onion Chutney w/Tamarind
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Fenugreek: A Divine Spice (NEW!)
Spirituality - The Tree & His Dreams
Benefits of Oil Pulling Remedy
Some Quick Recipes
Cruciferous Veggie Pulao (NEW!)
Beet & Carrot Veggie Juice (NEW!)
Avocado Soup w/Cilantro
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots