Amazingly tasty tofu rice with crispy onions and garam masala - to offer you that unique Indian twist that you will absolutely devour!
Crispy onions are a delight - no one ever said, "enough with crispy onions!" I love tofu and I love onions and in this quick, easy, fast recipe I bring my two favorite items in one delicious meal.
Tofu is a super-food as it is very rich in iron, calcium, protein, and has all amino acids. On top of that, tofu also has bunch of other minerals like magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, and some B-vitamins. It is also a great food for those who want to lower their cholesterol and want to get to healthy weight by eliminating fattening and hormone-filled dairy! Tofu is naturally an anti-inflammatory food as it is gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and is super rich in amino acids, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals! Not to mention, the amazing texture and taste it takes on in each and every recipe you add it to - it adapts well.
Watch the video where I talk about WHY tofu is very beneficial for women especially and how it helps to flush out bad estrogen from the body. In many countries around the world, tofu is part of regular diet - consumed almost daily! Countries like Japan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc use tofu in their daily cuisine and well, no doubt, these countries have had zero to low rate of breast cancer.
Make sure you buy ONLY organic tofu or soy products - the soy is NOT the problem; gmos in this crop and modern agricultural practices are! Now that you know, let's start cooking!
1. Organic yellow onions (small) - 4
2. 1 box organic, non-GMO extra firm tofu - drained
3. Green chilies - 1 or 2
4. Long-grain Basmati rice or any of your choice - I used about 2 cups
Spices and oil -
1. Organic mustard oil - 6 Tablespoons
2. Cayenne - 1/4 Teaspoon (add less first; adjust later at the end)
3. Black pepper - 1 Teaspoon
4. Organic sea salt - 1 Teaspoon (mix & taste and THEN, you can add more if needed)
5. Organic cumin powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Thyme - 1/2 Teaspoon (mix all & taste, then adjust accordingly)
7. Organic turmeric - 1 Teaspoon
8. Coriander powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
9. Garam masala - 1 Teaspoon
Optional Herbs/Veggies to add -
1. Veggies - Spinach, organic corn, carrots, zucchini, squash, green bell pepper, potatoes of your choice, etc
Simple steps -
1. Watch the video for step-by-step recipe and see the pics below while cooking it!
How To Pair? -
1. You can pair this with my chutneys but this recipe is perfect even by itself. Here is my Chutney's Page.
1. To increase the quantity (like when cooking for guests) - simply add more tofu, onions or veggies of your choice and increase the rice quantity or quinoa.
For those with SUGAR issues:-
If you have sugar issues, you can still enjoy this recipe with 4 very simple, easy options!
1. REDUCE the quantity of rice and add some quinoa. So, you can do, say, 30% rice to 70% quinoa. You can make this separately in advance if you like.
2. OR, you can eliminate rice completely - make the recipe as is, and mix in quinoa instead of rice.
3. And remember, to add some Ceylon cinnamon to your food when cooking AND when ready to eat.
4. Add some bay leaves powder for even more powerful blood sugar balance! Happy Cooking!
Cilantro Rice w/Turmeric
Raw Onion Chutney w/Tamarind
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Wrong Food Combinations per Ayurveda (NEW!)
Seed Cycling for Hormone Balance
Benefits of Oil Pulling Remedy
Some Quick Recipes
Tomato Rice w/Green Onions
Peanut Butter Coffee
Avocado Soup w/Cilantro
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots