Colorful mix veg pulao with aromatic whole spices. Kid & lunch-box friendly recipe. Pair this with Onion Chutney. Inc. video & photos.
Indian style pilaf or pulao is a great 'any-day' option as it contains a bit of rice mixed with super healthy vegetables, spices and whole spices like cloves, black cardamom, etc.
When I was making this pulao, the entire home was bursting with aroma! and it was hard to wait for the recipe to get done so that I can just dive in!
Now, I made this into a one-pot meal but you can actually cook the rice in advance and just add it later on or you can cook everything in cooker pressure if you like. My problem? This is my favorite cooking pan despite so many other ones that I have which are actually more better and more expensive, high quality ones - but we love the ones we love! Right?! LOL. Enough said.
1. Rice - 6 oz, any type or same.
2. Bay leaves - 2-5
3. 1 large organic yellow onion
4. 2 Tomatoes
5. 2 whole garlic
6. Organic (frozen or fresh) mix vegetables - about 8 oz.
Spices & Oils -
1. Black cardamom - 2
2. Cumin seeds - 3 Tablespoons
3. Cloves - 4-5
4. Coriander powder - 1/2 or 1 Tablespoon
5. Cumin powder - 1 Tablespoon
6. Asafoetida - pinch's worth
7. Organic coconut oil - 6 tablespoons
8. Turmeric - 1 Tablespoon
9. Red pepper powder
10. Sea salt
11. Garam masala (optional)
Top with -
1. Organic apple cider vinegar
2. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Simple steps -
Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe & spices measurement.
This makes enough for 4 people to enjoy.
For those with SUGAR issues:-
If you have sugar issues, you can still enjoy this recipe with 2 very simple, easy options!
1. REDUCE the quantity of rice and add some quinoa. So, you can do, say, 30% rice to 70% quinoa.
2. OR, you can eliminate rice completely - make the recipe as is, and mix in quinoa instead of rice.
And remember, to add some Ceylon cinnamon to your food when cooking AND when ready to eat.
Quick Beet & Carrot Soup (NEW!)
Quick & Eggy Tofu Scramble
Basil Pesto Pasta w/Walnuts
Some Amazing Articles
Nasya Oil: Ayurvedic Nasal Remedy
All About Turmeric! (NEW)
Activated Charcoal Health Benefits
Some New Recipes
Posto Chutney (NEW!)
Peanut Butter Coffee (NEW!)
Cauliflower-Spinach & Potato Curry
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots