Learn how to make perfect lentils w/spinach. Restaurant style taste with secret spice that you will love. Pair it w/rice, roti or quinoa.
One of my most favorite lentils! - tur dal or pigeon peas in English. In this recipe, I wanted to get the taste similar to dhaba-style (India street side or on highways small restaurants) and I think I did! Not much to say here, except, try this recipe and you will sure be glad you did! Let's start!
Ingredients for Tadka (Tempering) -
1. Organic, Unrefined coconut oil - 4 to 6 tablespoons
2. Cumin seeds - 3-4 Tablespoons
3. Black seeds - 1.5 Tablespoon
4. Asafoetida (hing) - Pinch's worth
5. Garam masala
6. Organic tomatoes - 5
7. Garlic (1 or 2 whole garlic -the more, the better!)
8. Green chilies - 2
9. 1 whole bunch organic cilantro/coriander
10. Turmeric, cayenne, sea salt (add less first, you can adjust later - so 1/3 teaspoon each)
11. Organic spinach - as much as you like!
12. Fresh lemon juice at end.
13. Chat masala
Ingredients for Lentils -
1. Organic yellow lentils (Toor Dal or Pigeon Peas in English) - about 1.5 cup here, soaked overnight
2. 6-7 Bay leaves
3. Turmeric - 1 Teaspoon
4. Water - just enough to cover little bit over the lentils
Simple steps -
Watch the video/pics for step-by-step recipe and exact measurements.
How To Pair? -
Pair this with my ONION RICE or TOMATO RICE; it will go great with it! Or you can pair with some quinoa or gluten-free tortilla. For more rice recipes, click on the 'rice' category and check for yourself! Happy cooking!
Quick Beet & Carrot Soup (NEW!)
Quick & Eggy Tofu Scramble
Basil Pesto Pasta w/Walnuts
Some Amazing Articles
Nasya Oil: Ayurvedic Nasal Remedy
All About Turmeric! (NEW)
Activated Charcoal Health Benefits
Some New Recipes
Posto Chutney (NEW!)
Peanut Butter Coffee (NEW!)
Cauliflower-Spinach & Potato Curry
Clay Pots Series (Videos)
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
My Mexican Clay Pots! (NEW Video)
How To Test for Lead in Clay Pots