Most beauty products are extremely toxic so, why don't we travel back in time & bring some extremely effective & safe ancient remedies for our beauty needs?
Did you know that our skin is our largest organ & that approx. 60% of what we put on our skin is absorbed by the body?
So, we all want to look good and marketplace promises a lot of promises; from staying & looking young to having thick, lustrous hair and of coarse, staying wrinkle free even when we age! I have to say these companies do know how to fool people and tap into their wallet - while at the same time creating toxic build-up in the buying customer's body.
So, what's the actual problem with these commercial products? Lets see.
The Problem - Commercial Beauty Products Are TOXIC!
1. They contain toxic ingredients like parabens - Parabens are cancer-causing chemicals. Period. They are synthetic preservatives in foods, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and personal care products such as deodorants, moisturizers and shampoos. Their main purpose is to keep bacteria and other microbes out of your cosmetics - thus promoting longer shelf life and stability of the product.
Common parabens names: methylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben.
Danger - Parabens have estrogen-like properties thus they are especially very toxic to our breast health. Because they mimic estrogen, they have the ability to both be carcinogenic (convert normal cells to cancer cells) as well as grow existing cancer.
2. They contain other carcinogens - Read labels and see if the product you are about to buy contains any of these:-
Diethanolamide (DEA), Ethoxylated alkyloamides (PEG), Monoisopropanolamides (MIPA), Monoethanolamides (MEA), Triethanolamides (TEA), fluoride & chlorhexidine (mouthwash), propylene glycol, triclosan, perfluorinated polymer (PFC) (dental floss), aluminium (deodorants - neurotoxin), phthalates (nail polish, hair care/sprays, cosmetic/skin care products), perfume/fragrance, sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalata, and octinoxate as well as titanium dioxide (usually in sunscreens & soaps), dioxin (also in laundry & animal products - VERY dangerous carcinogen) and anything that just doesn't sound right.
So, I wrote all this in a way that when you are at a grocery store and shopping for your personal care products, you can just open this article and quickly go through the list in point 1 & 2.
The Beauty Solution - The Holistic Way
So, what is the solution? What should we do to look good and stay healthy at the same time? Lets break down the solution in simple steps.
1. Detox the scalp - Use sulfur soap or even activated charcoal soap. You can even rinse your scalp with apple cider vinegar (50-50 solution with water) daily until your scalp is clean and no more build-up or hair fall. Then, every time after shampoo.
2. For thin hair - Use a shampoo that is certified organic and natural. Use one with bamboo, biotin, oils and sulfur. Look for these ingredients & then make sure the company is all natural, cruelty-free & non-gmo. These products are much healthier, higher quality, more effective & super cheap than toxic mall brands.
3. Shampoo brush - Oh yes! Costs less than a buck and super effective for hair fall, dandruff, build-up or just to keep hair beautiful. Buy from amazon or any store. Heck! I even have one for my dogs. No kidding!
4. Use oils regularly - Make sure you oil you hair regularly. You can apply coconut oil, jojoba oil, avocado, castor, sesame, black sesame, mustard or just about any healthy, organic, high-quality oil. Apply with an applicator bottle so to avoid more hair fall. Massage lightly and get the best sleep of your life! If you have frizz or dry hair, apply bit of oil right after washing and comb lightly. Another tip is to apply bit on your eyebrows! There! You are welcome..:)
5. Use shea/cacao butter - Melt a bit of any of these butters and mix with your hair oil. Massage gently and wash after 6 hrs. or so. Do note that they harden in cold weather so this is a better remedy if you are in summer as well as you plan on washing hair in 5-6 hours.
Bonus Tips: -
Ayurveda & Ancient Remedies - Use shampoo that has amla (Indian gooseberry), brahmi, shikakai and herbs like rosemary & peppermint which are excellent for hair growth.
1. African black soap - Another ancient remedy for beautiful hair & skin is African black soap which is made with burnt plantain ash. It is a great clarifying soap and has been used since centuries all over Africa. It is super rich in vit A & E, antioxidants as well as fatty acids.
2. Rice water - An Asian (Japanese?) remedy. You know when you soak your rice in water for an hour before cooking? Yep, that is rice water. Don't throw this water away - instead apply on your scalp as well as face/eyebrows. Wash after 30 mins or one hour later. This water is rich in inositol - which can repair damaged hair. Just make sure your rice is clean and possibly organic. Another tip is you can ferment this water by simply leaving it on counter, covering it overnight and letting it smell..bad. That is fermentation. Though I prefer apple cider vinegar better, you can try this if you wish.
3. Chickpea flour shampoo - A very old Indian holistic care. A great, easy to make and super healthy shampoo is by combining chickpea flour, lemon juice and water, mix all and apply to your scalp/hair. Make it thin enough so it will wash away easily in the tub. You will be shocked at how healthy your hair look and another added benefit is that it does not have any chemicals that irritate the skin/eyes/etc. Great for kids as well as cancer patients or anyone fighting sickness or have sensitive skin condition (like eczema, redness, psoriasis, etc).
4. Jamaican Black Castor oil - One of the best kept secret. This is made with castor beans that have been roasted/burnt and the ash from them is added back to the castor oil. Rich in nutrients; used for hair as well as eyebrows. Another use is for joint aches/pains. You can mix w/jojoba or coconut oil & apply overnight. Many just apply it directly on hairline, eyebrows or edges, joints/hands. Either way it is healthy and brings results.
5. Ayurvedic Hair oils - You can now buy pre-made Ayurvedic hair oils that use the same ingredients listed here like amla, brahmi, etc. If you are a cancer patient or simply losing lot of hair, try all the tips listed here but also search for an Ayurvedic oil online and massage once a week. Make sure it is from a reputed, specialty company.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar - Use acv for hair rinse and you will see how it cleans your scalp build-up as well as stop your hair fall. This is due to the fact that acv balances your scalp pH. It softens the hair strands and therefore, less tangles for you. After shampoo, mix 50-50 acv w/water and slowly rinse over your scalp. Let air dry.
7. Neem Oil - This is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal oil and very potent for itchy scalp, demodex, mites/lice, redness. It is rich in fatty acids which means great for hair growth. Problem? The smell - its strong. Dilute it w/carrier oil and leave for 2-4 hrs. only & wash. A very popular remedy in India.
For flawless skin - Soaps
1. Sulfur! - You bet! It is excellent for acne, blemishes, bumps, Keratosis Pilaris, Tinea versicolor, demodex, mites & smelly skin/scalp. Basically, it is a miracle! But know that sulfur smells...like rotten eggs. Between healthy flawless skin & bit of smell, you choose.
Our skin is made up of collagen and sulfur is a precursor to collagen production. You can buy pure sulfur soap and make a regimen to use it once a week, like on weekends when you don't have to go to work. You can also buy sulfur butter/cream but know it is harder to use as it needs to be applied and might go sting the eyes. Soap is better.
2. Zinc (cream or soap) - Zinc prevents cystic acne, scarring, dermatitis, dry flaky skin, rosacea, redness and inflammation. It is an enzyme co-factor, meaning it helps in collagen synthesis and DNA repair, which can help keep skin clean. You can buy either zinc soap or cream and go from there. Make sure it is pure and does not contain any of the above listed chemicals.
3. Activated charcoal (soap/masks) - This is another great, natural option for pulling dead skin, poisons, dirt, chemicals and impurities out of body. Buy a charcoal soap that is hand-made and has other ingredients that you can identify. Don't go and buy just any charcoal soap - commercial companies are fooling consumers by putting "charcoal" on front but when you read the ingredient list, you will see it is one of the last ingredient.
4. Pine tar soap - Great one for men! Use this after going hiking, woods, travel, etc. It also exfoliates, relieves itching and deep cleanses the skin..and the smell? It's pine!
5. Colloidal Silver soap - We all have heard of how great colloidal silver is and how it is also an anti-cancer wonder. This is great for all but esp. for those who have eczema, rashes, cysts, psoriasis, acne, and in detoxifying the skin.
6. Dead Sea Salt soap - This salt is rich in 21 mineral and is great for anyone but esp. those with eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, dandruff, etc. Just like charcoal, it too pulls out the impurities and increases the circulation of the skin. Moisturizes very well and great for family as well as pets!
Moisturizing the skin
1. Oils & Butters! - This is it. Make your own mix by investing in raw, organic, fair trade shea butter or cacao butter. You can search and even try mango, avocado, kukui butter. Mix this with some organic coconut oil, shea oil, or other oils like jojoba, avocado, apricot, argan, sesame, etc along with essential oils of your choice. Apply this mix on your face and body and you have the softest, glowing skin!
Another tip is that you can use oils only or oils with specialty lotion that is pure and chemical/paraben free.
2. Sea Buckthorn oil & soap - This is rich in vit E, fatty acids, carotenoids (hence, its orange color) & plant sterols. It is excellent for all skin types but is famous for eczema, acne, brown spots, scars, sunburns & rosacea. Overall, it is an amazing oil! Only downside? Fishy smell.
3. Rose Hip oil - Great for rosacea sufferers. Rich in vit C and fatty acids. Fishy smell.
4. Toners/Hydrosols - To keep skin clean, toned & moisturized, use toners that contain sulfur, vitamins, oils along with some good acids like hyaluronic/glycolic/salicylic acids.
Hydrosols are "flower water" made by distilling fresh leaves, flowers, fruits & other plant parts. They are similar to essential oils but much less fragrant and less heavy on the skin. Great option for those who hate strong scents or are allergic.
Bonus Tips: -
Ayurveda & Ancient Remedies - Of coarse, there are lot more oils but I have included here the ones you might not know about but are extremely effective for flawless skin as well as problematic skin. Now, for some ancient remedies -
1. African Black soap - Yes! You can use this all over face & body. Super healing for eczema, acne, redness, psoriasis and so on. Just make sure to buy an authentic one. Also used for shaving! A natural, healthier alternative for men & women.
2. Neem oil, mask & soap - Very famous Indian Ayurvedic herb used for detoxifying body from inside as well as outside. It is an anti-bacterial herb great for scalp, dandruff, skin ulcers, eczema, psoriasis, mange, itching, etc. You can take powder internally and use soap/oil for beauty. Mix the oil w/bit of coconut oil and apply on problem areas as well as scalp.
3. Castile soap - Very famous soap from Castile, Spain but it goes back to Syria since eons of centuries. It is made from olive oil as well as hemp, coconut, palm & other oils. Great for everyone, really (inc. dogs). Biodegradable. Safe for cancer patients too. Very versatile as it can be diluted & used for laundry, cleaning, shampoo, babies, etc. Very budget friendly.
4. Ayurvedic Ubtans (facials) - This is very easy and everything you need will be in your kitchen...well, hope so, since you have been following The Garden Recipe..:)
a. Chickpea flour facial - Oh great! Here we are with chickpea flour again. So, all you have to do is mix chickpea flour, pinch of turmeric (it stains), lemon juice, pinch of fenugreek powder and few drops of sesame seed or almond oil (or any oil of your choice). You can add or minus the ingredients but chickpea flour and water are the base. Apply and then leave for 20 mins till it hardens. Wash in bath.
b. Sandalwood/Amla/Clay - Add these to the ubtan or make separate with clay and amla. Amla is very high in vit C. Sandalwood is used to even tone the skin.
5. Aztec Clay - The best at-home detoxifying facial. Made from bentonite clay. Mix w/apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and apply. Once a week is best. 100% natural, healthy, age-old remedy!
6. Argan oil - Here we go to Morocco! Called as the "liquid gold," this oil is famous for beauty. Rich in fatty acids, vit E and carotene, it is really a miracle for wrinkle sufferers or those with premature aging skin/hair. Just need a few drops and apply on face/neck overnight.
7. Moringa oil - Famous in India, moringa is also called as drum sticks. It is a very famous savory vegetable rich in fatty acids, vit A & C. For this reason, it is used in skin care as well as hair care. Excellent for skin that really needs lot of support, e.g. chemo patients, scarred or burned skin, wrinkled skin or even skin with fungus, etc.
8. Egyptian Clay/Oil Paste - Egyptians are knows for their holistic secrets and in beauty they top the list! To keep skin clean yet supple, Egyptians would mix clay along with some olive oil and apply on face. This is such a great natural remedy for beauty you have got to try!
9. Egyptian Magic Cream - This is a highly emollient cream and works great for stretch marks, eczema, burns, etc. Used in Egypt since ancient times and found in Egyptian tombs. Made w/olive oil, honey, bee propolis, royal jelly & bees wax.
Plz. make sure when buying you ask questions about the source of honey and whether it is from wild bees or not. Be ethical & speak up for these little ones who work tirelessly to give us honey, bee propolis and...our food! So, yes, your beauty is important but so are the bees. Do ask questions and buy only rightful products.
10. RAW Shea Butter or Olive Oil soap bars - Amazing! Very emollient and great for dry skin or those in winter, dry weather. Great for cancer patients as well as diabetics who tend to have dryness or redness often. These two are all-around great soaps that will definitely give anyone a clean, glowing, soft skin. Excellent for dogs too..:)
11. Coconut oil - Last but not least, a tribute to coconut oil! Used since millions of centuries, it is probably the most versatile, healthy oil. Great for hair, skin, oral care as well as massage and not to mention, also great for cooking. It is great for acne sufferers as well since it is high in lauric acid - an anti-bacterial acid. So, do incorporate organic, unrefined, coconut oil in your beauty care as well as your cooking.
Nutrition for Skin & Hair
1. Healthy fats - Make sure you are eating nuts, seeds & healthy oils everyday in your diet. Without healthy fats, your skin will wrinkle fast, look dull and have dryness. As for hair, it is very evident hair do much better with support of healthy oil - both applied and taken internally.
6 Nutrients - A "MUST"
1. Sulfur! - Rich in onions, garlic, cruciferous veggies and onion/leek/garlic family. So, consciously cook with loads on onions and garlic. Not only are these 2 super anti-cancer but they are also superb for beauty. Also, you can take MSM which has many benefits for skin as well as joint health.
2. Zinc - Pumpkin seeds! Load up! The highest plant source of zinc. Soak them overnight & blend with plant based milk of your choice. See your skin flawless in one week!
3. Selenium - Brazil nuts! They rid your body of fluoride as well as other toxins. Very powerful for cancer protection as well as healing. Take the brazil nuts - 2 a day only! Also, mushrooms are rich source of selenium. Any surprise they are also anti-cancer?
4. Copper - Black sesame seeds! Great for hair and skin. Take a tablespoon each day. They also hydrate the kidney & liver & moisten the intestines in traditional Chinese medicine.
5. Iron & Biotin - Super imp. if you are losing hair. Make sure to eat raw/slightly wilted green vegetables in your diet topped with lemon juice. For biotin, eat cauliflower, nuts & seeds as they all will provide biotin source for thick hair.
Hydrate - Drink lemon water, coconut water, fresh juices and herbal teas to enrich your skin with nutrients. Teas like rooibos are touted for skin benefits.
Bonus Tips - If losing hair, then do take organic amla powder as well as moringa powder in your juice everyday. Another tip for beautiful hair & skin is to take MSM (a form of sulfur) powder w/orange juice.
1. Gifts for loved ones/dog owners & dogs - Give these healthy, natural gifts that truly care about your loved ones! What is beauty if it is going to cause sickness? You can make a basket and include these wonderful products and give as "gift baskets." How wonderful!
2. Super cheap - healthy for your bank! - If you were to order all the items on this list, even then the total cost would likely be less than that one brand name perfume or lotion! Holistic, natural, hand-crafted ethical products are way cheaper in every way - they cost less, last much longer, save you money in medical bills and solve any skin/hair problem without adding on more products after products!
3. Benefits of soap bars vs. plastic bottles - If you care & want health for yourself, loved ones & the planet, you got to switch to soap bars - at least for your daily baths. They last longer but another benefit is that plastic is not leaked into the product. We are already consuming & storing too much plastic in our bodies at any time - even the healthiest of us, so make the switch and see the benefits! Do remember - skin is our largest organ & approx. 60% of what we put on our skin is absorbed by the body. That's HUGE!
4. Where to find these products? - You will find them in specialty stores, farmer's market, hand-crafted products store, ethnic stores, small aromatherapy shops, health store or even in trade fair/health/natural expo, etc. Of coarse, you can also order them online.
5. Feel good & do your responsibility - When you buy such specialty products, you support the welfare of everyone - from innocent countless animals to humans and this place we call our home - our Earth.
It's simple...very easy to understand: -
a. You don't want to be taken in a lab and tested, don't support animal testing.
b. You don't want to work hard & be underpaid, support fair trade products.
c. You don't want cancer or to be sick, support non-gmo products.
d. You eat everyday from Earth's womb; support Earth - by buying 100% biodegradable products & reducing your plastic dependency.
6. So many great products! Which ones should I buy? - So, don't get too excited after reading this article & go waste your money. Buy 1 or 2 from each category and then incorporate some natural, home-made ones as well in your regimen.
a. IF you are a cancer patient - Go with sulfur soap for scalp as it revives hair fall very fast. Use it on face/body. Now, you also want to use something milder few times a week - esp. when you have to go out and don't want the sulfur smell. Then invest in dead sea salt or charcoal soap as cancer patients need every support to detox, detox & detox even more!
So, use clay mask once a week and alternate w/chickpea flour mask.
For skin, use safe hydrosols. Apply coconut oil w/sea buckthorn or argan oil to keep your face looking healthy. Use organic cotton only for cleaning/hydrosols.
b. IF you have great skin - Go w/castile soap - it is very versatile and will work for all your family needs. Pick one detox item and use chickpea flour mask once a week.
c. IF you have rosacea/eczema/cystic acne/etc - Go w/black soap or dead sea salt soap. As you heal, you can then add zinc or sulfur once a week. Complement w/RAW SHEA BUTTER soap.
For moisturizing, add rose hip oil to your regimen. Make your own butter mix - shea butter + co.oil + jojoba oil + rose hip oil/neem oil. Use this and say bye to commercial lotions.
For masks, go w/chickpea flour.
d. IF you have family(kids/spouse/teenagers/dogs) - Go w/castile soap - very long-lasting and affordable solution. Super healthy too. Dilute it in a big gallon bottle with water and use for baths, showers, laundry, cleaning tubs/kitchen/floors, dog baths, and hair shampoo as well.
For detox, buy Aztec Indian clay and all can use it on their face once or twice a month. Will last very long. For moisturizing, organic coconut oil is the best! Use it for everyone in family inc. your dogs. Buy a large size tub to save even more.
e. IF you have dogs - Dog baths - While giving baths to your dog/s, mix castile soap or black soap with few drops of coconut oil and rub on wet coat/skin. Wash and rinse w/apple cider vinegar. See the glowing coat right in front of your eyes! And..no fleas! You can thank me later..:) Complement w/RAW SHEA BUTTER soap - read the ingredients and make sure it is very high quality.
f. IF you have aches/pains/joint issues - Go w/castor oil. The best. Massage some castor oil mixed w/carrier oil on to your pain areas and feel the difference. You can then use the castor oil for hair/eye brows and other home-made skin care. Mix castor oil w/shea butter for even more ache/joint/sciatica support as well as super soft & glowing skin.
Can use this mix also for hair growth. Apply for few hours and wash with natural shampoo. Can even go for chickpea flour shampoo.
g. IF you have demodex/itch/fungus/mites - Start w/neem soap and complement w/sulfur bar. Continue with this regimen and when you have cured, pick a good detox soap from the list as well as some oils to keep skin soft and supple. You can also add soaps made w/butters & oils like castile or olive oil soap bars.
NOTE: DO NOT buy your neem soap from Indian stores. Nope. It is nothing but full of chemicals and a drop of neem. Buy from small, hand-crafted stores or online. Read the ingredients and then purchase. Commercial neem soaps are just that - commercial toxins. Buy from specialty store/business.
OK. So, this is it for this section. Now, remember, beauty is from what you eat or don't eat. You can have the best of these things but if you are eating animals, junk-food, soda, dairy, refined sugars, oils, tap water, frozen dinners, table salt, etc...its all going to fail or at the very least, will only give you temporary benefits..till your toxic build-up from your lethal diet takes over again...on your skin.
So, eat well. If you need recipes help, then hop on to Garden Recipes page and you will see that all my recipes use lots of onions as well as garlic. They also incorporate spices as well as nutrient dense herbs. Many of my recipes have nuts for pasta sauce/pesto. All are cooked in super beautifying coconut oil. What more can you ask for from a recipe?
So, hope this article gave you tools to ditch cancer causing products and instead opt for natural ones. Supplement it with right food and drinks and you are all set...:)
Some Posts To Help You Even More!
Six Steps to Anti-Cancer Diet Chickpea Flour Pancakes Dogs: Ginger-Garlic Paste
Quick Recipes for You
Ayurvedic Spiced Almond Milk
Potato Curry in Coconut Milk
Clay Pot Series Videos
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
Some Helpful Articles
Ayurvedic Tips for Digestion
Buddhism: The Four Elements of Love
Buddhism: What Is Metta Meditation?