Have you ever considered a link between canned foods & getting sick? Here's an article why you should NEVER use canned foods! Plus, tips to make your recipes stand out!
One of my mission is to teach people to let go of "pre-made" stuff like canned foods. And why is that so important? You cannot talk about an anti-cancer diet or anti-inflammatory diet without talking about the deadly effects of canned foods and why they must be left out...completely.
Let me explain...Canned food is NOT what food is - not by Nature's standards. Food is what decays in few days and it doesn't come swimming in slimy, salty water (yuck!!). Seriously.
It comes from our mother Earth and then picked fresh and cooked. It doesn't stay on shelf, day after day, week after week ..until weeks become months and months become years. Gosh!! Disgusting. Simply disgusting.
For me, this is reason enough - seeing the reality. I do not have to research any papers or talk to some "nutrition expert" to know that canned foods should be a strict "no-no" in my home. I see something on shelf; its swimming in salty water; it doesn't decay; it is in cans! Thanks! but big-fat-no!
But still for those of you contemplating canned foods as part of your "convenience" diet, here are the reasons why you should reconsider your decision:-
1. Contain Bisphenol A (BPA) - BPA is an industrial chemical used to make certain plastics and resins since 1960. No surprise, canned foods contain Bisphenol A (BPA) which has been linked to cancer & birth defects. It is found in coatings of all food and drink cans.
2. BPA - Estrogen Link - BPA also mimics estrogen in humans and animals. According to this 2015 study, BPA is linked to endocrine disorders including female and male infertility, precocious puberty, hormone dependent tumors such as breast and prostate cancer and several metabolic disorders including poly-cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It has also been linked to obesity.
3. What about BPA-FREE cans? - Well, BPA-FREE cans contain vinyl lining along with polyester. Umm...don't think I would like that in my food. Vinyl chloride is a known carcinogen. Aside from BPA, four other coatings are used as such: acrylic resins, oleoresin, polyester resins, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) copolymers. All of these release chemicals and therefore, are equally dangerous for our body as much as BPA.
Umm...all I can say is, take an exit! Done!
4. Fresh food tastes better - This is such an easy one but still worth writing about. We all know the beauty, the taste, the aroma of fresh home-cooked meals. The best part is that you can easily make your food taste great with just a bit of spices and herbs. Add to it some fresh tomatoes and onions and garlic and you are all set! No need for canned sauces/broths/etc.
5. Opt for Glass Jars - If you have to still buy something from the shelf, then opt for glass jars and make sure that at least, the product is organic and gmo-free. Another thing you can do is make your own pesto, tomato sauce or veggie broths - all from fresh produce and then store in glass jars. This option is the best if you like to keep some on hand.
OK. So, I hope this convinces you enough to never buy any canned product.
Bonus Tips: Now, as a bonus, I decided to include 5 easy ways you can make any recipe mouth-watering without the need for canned sauces/broth/pesto/etc.
Bonus Tips: 5 Easy Ways to Add Flavor to Your Recipes
Tip #1 - Use fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic & herbs - By using this combination of fresh juicy tomatoes, onion, garlic and some herbs and sauteing on LOW for sometime, you can re-make any recipe with lots of flavor and zest. Add to this mix some peppers as well as lemon zest and oh my! you won't need any canned sauce...ever!
Tip #4 - Use seeds & herbs for pesto or to thicken & flavor soups/curries - Use fresh herbs along with seeds like sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds for making pesto as well as to create creamy gravy for soups, potatoes, curries, lentils, etc. All you have to do is soak the seeds overnight and make the pesto next day. Or, for tahini, toast the sesame seeds and make a paste with sea salt and olive oil. That is it! How easy and wonderful way to get calcium in your body.
My upcoming recipes are more focused on seeds and how to incorporate them in savory dishes. I will update this post as my new recipes are released here as well as on my youtube channel.
All right, this is it for now. Hope you enjoyed this colorful article and hope you will try this approach from now on in your cooking.
Some Posts You Will Definitely Enjoy!
7 Steps to Anti-Cancer Diet Veggie Stir-Fry Noodles A "MUST" for Dogs
Delicious Recipe Videos
Sunflower Seed Pesto Pasta (NEW!)
Sweet Potato Masala (NEW!)
Dal Tadka in Clay Pot (NEW!)
Some Amazing Articles
Benefits of Cooking in Clay Pots
Viruddha Ahara (NEW!)
Asafoetida: A Pinch of a Cure
Thai Red Curry w/Tofu
Mild, Flavorful Rice Vermicelli
Clay Pot Series Videos
Clay Pots Buying Guide in India
Bringing Clay Pots from India to US
My Beautiful Clay Pots REVEALED!
Which Clay Pot is Right for You?
Some Helpful Articles
Cancer: A Beautiful Blessing
Learn the Basics: What is Cancer?
All About Spices in Indian Cooking
CCF Tea: Ayurvedic Tea for Digestion & Detoxification